Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Trying to Start Something for our College-Aged Folk (will it take????)

The church I serve in I suppose is like most churches out there. In some areas, they do a bang-up job and are setting some trends/examples for others to aspire to. In other areas, they simply drop the ball.

One area our church struggles with is ministering to "college-aged" (18-23ish?) young adults. And while I can't truly start and run a new ministry to them (my teen ministry responsibilities basically negate that), I also can't sit idly any longer.

I think it started really bugging me early last summer (2007). I had been in my current church for 3 years as youth minister, but hadn't really "graduated" any teens that I was especially close with. I mean, sure, I knew them, loved them, etc., but they weren't the "core" group (if you are in youth ministry, you know what I mean...we don't play favorites, but some kiddoes just gravitate and "resonate" toward you more...). Well, last year, I had some of my first graduates that I was especially close with move on...and there was nothing at our church for them. Well, not entirely true: earlier that year, I expressed some vision for a true "young adults" ministry and even had "names" brought to me that I sensed God was giving me...so I prayed, swallowed hard, and shared the vision with those people. And they agreed! The problem was that we probably truly needed two separate groups: college/young singles, and "young marrieds-and/or older singles". My wife attended this group for awhile, and would tell me of the awkwardness of the class...where you had 30+ aged folks with young kids trying to relate discussion with an 18 y/o single still quite immature...now, I affirm the need to "multi-generalize" our church cultures more for sharing of gifts and wisdom, but I also see the value in something age/group specific. Well, apparently the vast differences in "where folks were at" was too great...and the class basically withered away...

So, we were left with nothing again.

Then this school year, I started noticing some college-age folks wandering into our Sunday School class...at first, I didn't know what to do, as a) this was geared more for teens (at least in theory) and b) our risk management policies have guidelines for things like age-difference requirements for adults in the same room as kids, etc...and I wasn't sure how college students worked into that.

Well, first thing is I decided to go ahead and just let the college folk attend our Sunday School under the conditions of a) I tell each one I expect them to be a leader and an example above-and-beyond the youth, almost like a pseudo-adult leader. As a result, I tell them I won't be afraid to call them on the carpet harsher than I might a youth if they are "bringing down" the teens, and possibly ask them to move on if it becomes a problem (it hasn't). But, with nothing for them on Sunday mornings...except for one of the adult classes (some good classes and folks...but we have a huge generation gap at our church...20s and 30s are VERY rare for the most part...), I just decided to let them in until someone with authority comes to me saying it isn't right, etc.

Another thing I decided to implement for the summer months (when we have a decent chunk of college-agers around), with my wife's blessing, is a "college-aged discussion/study group" meeting weekly at our home. Tonight is supposed to be the first one. I think it could be really great...although I am a bit fearful that for tonight, it will be sparsely attended (day after high school graduation/"project graduation" all-night party, lots saying they have to work, etc.). And I even have some fears (I know...fear is DUMB...just being honest...I do have hope as well!) that this group will become what so many "startups" in our church seem to be: There are exceptions, but one quality I've noticed in four years here is that many folks have vision, ideas, purpose, etc., about new-or-adapted ministry ideas and opportunities, and often folks seem to "like" the new ideas-at least on the surface level. But, it's almost like folks struggle to truly "buy into" anything new or groundbreaking. Won't do what it takes to "make it happen", like sensing a call to plug into a ministry, so they re-arrange some personal stuff to insure their participation...maybe (and, probably) that isn't unique to our church, but it sure happens alot. I kinda wonder if it happens to this group as well. I say that due to conversations I've had...many folks seemed really excited about this group when I announced it to them a couple months back. And when I started asking for "date and time" ideas for the group, almost no one had an opinion..."just tell us, Ben, and we'll be there". Well, now folks are having to work, or scheduling outings with friends...etc. I know you can't help some stuff...but I guess for me, if there is something I TRULY want to be a part of, I do all I can to rearrange...ask off for Tuesdays instead of Thursdays, for example...or say you're busy on group night (or even, gasp!, invite your friend to our group!), etc. I know I'm being kinda weird, and I know God will send who needs to be there...I'm just praying and hoping for all of them :-). I also know some of this hesitation is due to the unknown...we have never had a group like this...and these folks likely want to make sure it is worth their time...and I do understand...

So, I'm praying for this to be a blessing to our college folk... Simply put, I love these folk and want them to have a place to grow their faith in an intimate, honest, group setting. I am excited...these folks are very special to me...and I know college can be a "make or break" time for one's faith...college is when my wife became a follower of Christ, and while I did in high school, it was during my college years where God really began working on me, my utter allegiance and dependence on him, etc...

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: