Friday, May 30, 2008

...and then there was summer

Ah, summer...can't live with it, can't be in youth ministry without it...

Summer is such a bittersweet time. On one hand, you get to see God work in very real and tangible ways (like on a mission trip), you get to do some fun stuff (concerts, waterparks, simply hanging with students a bunch), I tend to lose weight simply do to the non-stop nature of it all, etc. But on the other hand it is NON-STOP. high energy. Lock-ins. Being away from family for days at a time. And in Texas, it is hot hot hot! And any reader of this blog for at least a few months knows my favorite time of year is not these next three months (http://haphazardangus.blogspot.com/2007/09/why-fall-aka-autumn-is-my-favorite-time.html).

One thing that I always notice during the summer is that I don't do a good job cultivating my own soul. I go all out for the teens I serve, and try to leave some "soul" in the tank for my fam, but when it comes to me, I struggle. I mean, it's not like I forget my faith or anything, but it seems like any growth is simply "event-based", or in small doses. But I struggle to just STOP and "be" with God. So, in front of all 4 of you :-), I make a resolution to try and halt that pattern this year. One thing that does recharge me, believe it or not, is this blog, even when posts are not overtly "spiritual". As my blog goes, so often my pursuit of God goes...and if you want to see how summer can negatively affect this, just look at how rare posts are from last summer...

So here's to a summer of SOUL! Will you join me in refusing to let the busyness and heat of summer zap your soul dry?

No comments: