Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Getting Smacked on the head with the God Frying Pan (aka, when God says, "hey, I'm here...I've got ya!", even as we try to ignore...)

So last week was interesting on many levels. Feeling tired, worried, un-content, immature, etc. I had many plates spinning and I really didn't want to stop some of them from falling. So I did what I at times do best: I whined. To friends, in posts on this blog, whatever. It is cathartic to be able to post what I do, but sometimes I do look back (either on my own or in response to someone's comment about it) and go, "Dang, son...you need to rest in the Lord better...to seek his peace and lean not on your own understanding..."

Well, a funny thing happened late in the week. It started when, let's just say, I found out my blog was "broadcasting" some messages that I didn't intend...but I can't complain about because, well, I take a risk (as does anyone posting their writings, art, etc., for public viewing) that someone may not agree or appreciate what I say. So at first I was a bit bummed. Not mad or angry, just bummed, and not at any specific people, more at myself than anything.

So I woke up Friday and was compelled to read 1 Peter 2:4-12 and write my last post (http://haphazardangus.blogspot.com/2008/06/stone.html). And my fears, frustrations, and worry started melting away... First one to go was, "how on earth am I going to have time to prep a Sunday School lesson?" Well, as soon as I wrote the post, I stopped and said, "I think we have a lesson!" And it was fun to teach it Sunday morning...even found out one of the teens was led to read that very verse earlier in the morning...cool stuff...

Then, later, I started prepping in earnest for the lock-in that night. Problem was, I had spent all day working in the 95 degree heat laying some sod...so I was a bit concerned I would "fold" way too early. But I remembered the scripture I read earlier and the post I made...and decided to simply trust God. As I left the parking lot leading a caravan of 44 folks, I told my friend/co-worker/parent of two of the teens, "You know, I actually feel pretty good!" She gave a smile and a nice thumbs-up to me... :-)

And then, as I proceeded to go to Medieval Times (AWESOME), a middle-of-the-night swim party, and back to our church for movies, games, etc., and as I should've expected, another cool thing happened: I felt "fresh" all night! I usually start "fading" around 4 am or so...but I felt strong and alert all the way until I pulled into my driveway at 7:15 am. Then I crashed until 1:15 pm... And then I was able to go lay more sod! (I am usually a ZOMBIE after a lock-in...even after sleeping a bit...). Good stuff!

I also have felt more at peace about our coming mission trip, my concerns, etc. I am just going to trust. As I myself say to those attending, "EXPECT God to do amazing things!" I need to claim that for myself sometimes!!!

Finally, I have decided to just give the college group to God...if only one or two show up, it's all good. If ten come, awesome. But I need to just be grateful for who is sent each week, and allow God to speak... I also LOVE how Missy (wife) seems to be sensing the need to share wisdom and her experiences with them. It is a good ministry venue for her...and that makes my smile!

So, woohoo to God for smacking me around a bit and saying, "Dude, I'm here...I know what's up...let me take over!"

No comments: