Thursday, June 12, 2008

Being Away from My Family (not cool for very long...)

I am about to embark on a week-long mission trip to Fayetteville, Arkansas (well, Saturday morning I will). I am anticipating a week of seeing teens and adults experience God in mighty ways as they selflessly work their tails off helping those in need, as they hang out together, and as they worship together. Every year (even "not so fun" ones), I come back with a sense of awe and honor that I was a small part of this experience for so many.

But usually by Wednesday (that is, with several days still remaining on the trip), I start missing my Missy and Jax.

I really wouldn't be a good trucker, travelling salesman, musician/actor who goes on tour, or is on set for weeks, military man, etc. And it's not like when I'm home I need to spend every waking minute with them, but for some reason mid-week on a mission trip, I start getting that "tug". Like, I'll be standing in line at a fast food place in some random town and hear a toddler whining to his momma (probably annoying everyone else in the place), and I get all mushy inside. Or some cool experience is happening and I'm like, "I wish Missy could be here to share this with me." And I DEFINITELY feel it at closing rally (a gathering in a big church of all "living centers", usually a couple-thousand folks), where it is a mish-mash of emotions ranging from being in awe of God, to exhausted, to hungry, to already missing new friends, to dreading the several hours remaining in a car because you want to see your wife and kid yesterday!

But it is a part of who I am I suppose. This year, the dynamic will be a bit different as Jax is spending the week in Houston with Gramma and Pops (aka my parents). he will have a BLAST, and momma will get some much needed studying (and some peace and quiet) done. But, despite a week of not worrying/chasing a kid around, and despite that yesterday was a really crazy day with Jax (not listening, pooping in pants like, oh, four times, not napping, finding, um, "poo artwork" all around the house, etc.), we both lay in bed last night and agreed we'd miss the little guy a lot. Missy even said, "I don't know what I am going to do without him for seven days..." We love our little man!

So pray for all of us as we will be apart for a week. I am certainly grateful to be in a family that loves one another and actually LIKES being together...as we all know there are an abundance of families that can't wait to get away from each other...

1 comment:

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom said...

It's those times away that reveal how much you love your family and puts a fresh perspective on the poo artwork!