Friday, June 6, 2008

Stone

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Peter%202:4-12;&version=31;

The Living Stone and a Chosen People
4As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him— 5you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6For in Scripture it says:
"See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame."[a] 7Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe,
"The stone the builders rejected
has become the capstone,[b]"[c] 8and,
"A stone that causes men to stumble
and a rock that makes them fall."[d] They stumble because they disobey the message—which is also what they were destined for.
9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

11Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
***1 Peter 2:4-12, NIV

Wow. I love how Peter uses the word "stone" to describe both our savior and redeemer(Jesus) and us ("living stones"). We are called stones, a part of a spiritual house. God has NO REASON to call or allow any of us to be a part of his work, but despite our sin and rebellion against him, he chose to love and atone for our sins, anyway (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=52&chapter=5&verse=8&version=31&context=verse). But think about the word "stone". To me, that implies strength, a strength given to us by the Lord. I know I often don't feel much like a stone...sometimes a nice piece of oak or maple, but wood still can be consumed in fire. But stone? God calls us stone? That's a different thing altogether...

As one saved by Christ, this implies:

...that we are directly rooted in the "Stone of Stones", and that his strength and might are available to us through him...even when we are convinced we are just weak...God is strong...

...that since God calls his chosen people a "holy priesthood", he must love us and think enough of his creation that through his redemption of us, we are truly able to be God's "hands and feet" in this world...I need to remember that better, as I am often too easily convinced that I'm not able to be used by God...because when I use my criteria (or the world's), I am just not good enough...but praise God for saving me, a messed up sinner, through Christ! My criteria doesn't matter...

But as a result, the world around us often simply can't relate.

We are called "aliens and strangers", and as humans, we don't like that idea. We (I) want to just be like everyone else. We don't like rocking the boat. But we are stones rooted in the Stone. God chooses to use us to spread his message in word and deed. Others may scoff, or get upset, or even go, "hey, I know how much you mess up...all the gossip and ugly attitudes you have (or have had in the past), why should I listen to you or accept your faith in this 'Jesus'?"

But we are stone.

We are redeemed.

We are chosen.

God wants to use US. Even in our mess. Even though a war goes on in our soul.

May we allow God to mold us, shape us, give us courage, help us to realize the strength he provides, to be motivated to live a selfless life, motivated out of gratitude for the fact that despite my original ugly heart that too often has tried to push God out the door, God's son STILL was willing to walk with us, be tortured and killed for us, and rise up again in final victory...FOR US!!!!!!!!

****DISCLAIMER: My "h" key is broken...has been for awhile...so as a result, whenever I type that letter, I must hit "control-V", and I can't capitalize it. I'm not trying to make some "statement" by not capitalizing "he" or "his" or "him" when referring to God...haha...I normally would...I know some folks want us to stop using male pronouns for God...and while I certainly think God is not one to be boxed in and through the Trinity MANY different roles and qualities are expressed (even possibly feminine ones), for whatever reason, most biblical scholars have translated the original texts/languages to use words like "father" alot to describe our creator...

Disclaimer over. Carry on!

No comments: