Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A ROCKIN’ Band

I am a music nut, and as I have gotten older, I have increasingly learned to appreciate nearly all genres (even some country…but the “older” and more “outlaw”, the better!). But growing up, it was all about “arena rock”, “power rock”, metal, etc. You know, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Dokken, Metallica, etc. Lots of riffs, power chords, guitar solos, pump-your-fist-air-guitar-windows down with the volume at eleven…

Well, I have often told folks that what rock music needs today is a group of, “young guys who play ‘80s rock, but without all the squeals, screams, and screeches, without the big hair, without the spandex, and without all the sexual innuendo.” In fact, I often tell folks that if I were to start a band, that is the type of band I would want to be in…

Ladies and gents, I present you with my newest musical guilty pleasure: THE SHOWDOWN (http://www.theshowdownmetal.com/).

Now, there is nothing groundbreaking here, but generally it is what my request describes above. Just good, fun, ROCK. And as a Christian myself, it is nice that they too are Christians. Now, some may be bummed that their lyrics aren’t very “blunt” as far as their beliefs go (I think their faith does shine in the lyrics…you just have to digest what they are saying…no spoonfeeding), but at the very least it is cool to have a band like this that isn’t singing about drugs, sex, etc. (like The Darkness…another recent band playing 80s rock, but even the “edited” version of their cd I own is a bit much at times). Plus, they have a fun rockin’ cover of Kansas’ “Carry On Wayward Son”, a song I have always loved.

So, if you are in the mood for something new that reminds you of something old, check out The Showdown…

No comments: