Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Powerful TV Show

http://www.aetv.com/intervention/

If you haven't seen the A&E show "Intervention", you really need to. New Episodes are on Friday nights (9 pm CST, I believe), with re-runs at other times. You can read more on their site, but essentially each episode looks at an individual struggling with addiction (alcohol, drugs, gambling, anoerexia, bulimia, plastic surgery, anger, and even video games have been dealt with) as they head toward an unknown-to-them intervention with their loved ones and a therapist.

I am not much of a "must-see-TV" guy (the only other show I really make sure to "not miss" is "Battlestar Galactica"), but this may be the one show that my wife and I make a point to watch together each week. It is harsh and "shows nearly everything" (like needles in veins, vomiting into Ziploc bags, etc.), but I think that is what makes this show so magical. You truly see the nasty effects of addiction to both the individual and those around them. The show mixes scenes with only the addicted person and scenes with the loved ones discussing the nasty effects and planning the intervention itself.

The emotions I have in the show are all-over the place. Sadness, mercy, anger, love, doubt, hope... Sometimes the most frustrating part is the loved ones, as they often are "enablers" to the addiction, handing out money, places to stay, etc. Often this provides much of the discussion fodder, since it would be hard to do "tough love" and cut someone off due to an addiction that will likely kill them without help.

The success rate...I don't know the percentage, but another "good" (I mean, not good...but glad they show all sides...) thing about the show is that the treatment doesn't always work. Often the additced one gets kicked out of the facility, often they relapse, and sometimes (not as often) they refuse treatment at the intervention itself. But there are also successes, and my heart leaps with joy to see that...

So, watch the show. I would even love to purchase episodes for the teens at church to watch, as it pulls no punches. I'd have to get waivers, though...hard images, rough language, etc... But I think it is worth the cost...

No comments: