Saturday, July 5, 2008

"WALL-E"= Muy Bueno!

So Jax and I went to see WALL-E today so Missy could have one more study session before her TexES test tonight. Now, i didn't really know what to expect...most reviewers raved about it, and some friends approved of the film, while a couple of the teens from church complained about it ("There was like no talking for the first 45 minutes!" complained one).

Well, let me chime in: I thought it was outstanding.

As purely entertaining as a Toy Story or The Incredibles? Not really...even though it certainly entertained. As creative and visually stunning as Ratatoullie? Probably. As heart-strings-gripping as Finding Nemo (especially since I have a son whom I would search the entire oceans for if need be, just like Nemo's dad, Marlin)? Absolutely.

But it had more...a true "social commentary" ran throughout, and it wasn't necessarily the obvious, "we create a lot of trash"-theme that seems to be on the surface. No, it was a commentary on our current (at least in "developed nations") trend where if we aren't careful, we will forego all physical contact, all emotional attatchments, and will do all we can to not actually TALK to each other (in person at least). And as a result, without some caution, we will just become a society of lazy "giant infants", doing as little as possible and simply seeking to be fed and entertained...

Problem is that I even have some traits like this. Some are changing (thankfully!), but still around at times. I certainly can get into a "season" where I just try to get way with doing nothing (or at least as little as possible). And if I can avoid a phone call, email will certainly do! But, I am different than many in today's America... I would MOST OF ALL want to meet in person with folks. I may avoid the phone...but I'd still just love to hang out and meet. Yet many I see today (especially teens) would just assume text message each other (I even know teens who text each other...EVEN when they are in the SAME VAN!) instead of talk in person. And even adults I fear are becoming too "plugged in": I just don't know what to do about all these "Star Trek" Blue Tooth earpieces...folks just CAN'T seem to ever be "unavailable" anymore! Oh well, call me old fashioned. I just think we need to unplug a bit (ironic, as this entire "thought" is being typed on a computer!) and plug back into social interaction, into physical activity, into true community...

So thank you, Pixar, for creating a beautiful film that I hope makes us all think a bit...

No comments: