Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Grumpy Christians...

First off, no, I haven't been bugged by a "grumpy Christian" too much lately. It's just a phenomenon I've always been perplexed by and feel led to discuss...

Second, I've come in contact with GC's ("Grumpy Christians"...too lazy to type it out) everywhere I've been (and I know I have been guilty of being a GC a few times myself...despite my normal "natural" cheery personality), so again, this isn't a commentary on current environments.

But the chronic GC still perplexes me.

I mean, here is a person claiming to be rescued by Jesus from the pit, invited into an eternal (both now and later) Kingdom with God, is freed, is redeemed, etc., and yet the GC still seems grumpy, angry, bitter, "down", and treats folks often with little respect for feelings, often seems to have little desire to show love, etc. Why is this? What follows is my "in no order" list of possible reasons/excuses:

*** "It's just my natural personality. Deal with it!" I know, I know, some of us are just made certain ways. Does that make behavior ok? Does that negate God's promise to make us "new creations in Christ" (since, if we use this excuse, it sure seems like we are unwilling to allow God to "do his thing"...http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=54&chapter=5&verse=17&version=31&context=verse). For example, on the flip-side, I am a naturally easy-going person...to a fault at times. I could just use it as an excuse to never be "strong", to never have to be the "bad guy", etc., and as a result, folks under my care can just run amok in anarchy. But God is changing me...and I know there are times I need to be those "stronger" things. Now, I may never be as hammer-down as some would like, or sometimes not naturally notice things needing that type of personality, but nevertheless, there are times I must let go of my personality as a crutch and allow God to work... I think GC's need to remember this one as well.

*** "My life stinks. I have every right to be upset/angry/unloving/bitter/etc." Once again, I can relate in spurts (in fact, I've kinda had this attitude some lately...but it's still not ok.), but what does this say about someone's true surrender to the Lord? I know, life can certainly be difficult, and God does not promise an always easy road despite being in his hands, yet do we not need to live a life of hope, joy, and love if we really believe all this Jesus stuff? I'm just saying...

*** "But if we were all nice and loving all the time, we would get walked over like crazy." This is true. We all need balance to work as the Body of Christ. But, we need balance (or at least a semblance of it) within our own hearts as well, and some are unwilling to accept some "opposite" traits, either within self or others. Jesus was "both". he would be strong (turning tables, "Go and sin no more", etc.) and incredibly (almost...too?) loving (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=49&chapter=6&verse=29&version=31&context=verse). I mean, how many of us would REALLY do that? We would scream, "I don't deserve this!" But, we need balance...and I do as well (aka being bolder, stronger, etc.). All I ask is that GC's do the same allwoing God to make them more loving, sympathetic, merciful...

So there you go...and I'm sure someone out there is writing something like, "I'm sick of all these lovey-dovey, overly joyful Christians...I want some folks to lay the smack down!" You are right, too. Balance...let's embrace it in ourselves and others.

And smile, dang it! :-) GOD LOVES YOU!!!!!

No comments: