Friday, July 11, 2008

A great memorial service for Granny

I normally would have posted this sooner, but I needed to make a pre-mission trip excursion to Lufkin, TX, yesterday, so I will type a few highlights...

* It was nice to see all the folks in Taylor to remember Granny. Many came out of the woodwork.

* My sister, Jill, did a great job sharing some memories. I know she was not sure how well she'd "hold up", but it was a fitting tribute. These last couple years she did a great job (like 400X better than I) keeping tabs on Granny but calling her basically every day...

* My cousin Peg likewise did an outstanding job honoring Granny. She is just so funny and has an awesome personality...it was perfect.

* Rev. Gary Turner, a former co-ministry-worker with me, led the service and was so great. he focused on the legacy she fostered among her family, as he felt he could "see Granny, her faith, her priorities, etc." from being around me, etc. I was touched.

So, it was a very nice time. Funerals aren't really fun, but it wasn't a "cry fest" and I truly believe we celebrated Granny's life more than anguished that she is no longer with us...for now, of course :-)

No comments: