Sunday, March 1, 2009

Planet Wisdom 2009 ("PW")

Hey folks. Well, 2009's edition of Planet Wisdom has come and gone...and it was awesome as usual. I will say, this year was different for me on many levels, but certainly not in bad ways.

*** First off, I confess I went in (well, by Friday I'd say I was generally "better") with not the best attitude... I had many kids "drop" at the last minute, and while they were for various reasons (and a couple were VERY legit), I guess it just broke/breaks my heart that kids these days are pulled in so many directions. I know, "Well, that's life!" someone told me last week when I brought it up, and I know that I may very well eat my frustrations on this when Jax becomes a teen (but I pray Missy and I seek to encourage a balance in him where Jesus is first...but he can still experience things, be able to participate in activities he's gifted in, etc. I just hope his faith doesn't suffer...). But still, It just breaks my heart that kids so often have to choose growing their faith vs. so many other things... I'm not saying this so much because it make me feel validated when they all come...but I hear stories of kids in tears because someone in charge of their extracurricular activity basically gives them an "us or them" choice... But, I have to keep faith in the sovereignty of God, that those who joined us this weekend were EXACTLY who were supposed to be there...

*** The Skit Guys were hilarious again! Really, these guys should do a tour, just them, just for laughs with some "good spiritual ponderings" mixed in. I'd pay to go see that...

*** While PW still seemed like PW, it was nice to see them branch out some as far as "how" they did the whole thing. Mixed up the timing some, added more interactive stuff with kids, lots of cool new multi-media stuff that I think helped with the theme ("Unlikely Heroes"). And while I'll honor the need for surprise...what I heard about next year sounds REALLY cool...

*** Dutton led worship this year, and they were the best band PW has had in my opinion. Great music, personality, and most of all an obvious sense of seeking to lead everyone to the Throne of God in worship singing. Check them out...

*** It was cool to feel like I was among friends in ministry. I have always enjoyed fellowship with fellow youth ministry-types, and try to get to know as many as I can, but for whatever reason this year I just seemed to know so many folks. Many times I'd hear "Ben!" and have to go say hey to folks. People sneaking up in the youth ministry meetings and smacking me in the back, etc. Fun stuff. While I can be quite introverted, I do love being with people... Even met someone who recognized me from the PW promo video I was on...THAT was weird, won't lie... Ah, celebrity :-) I also got to network a bit about Real World Parents, and it looks like I'm doing a RWP seminar at Southcliff Baptist Church in late-April...I'll post exact dates later...Excited!

*** Marvin Dawson and his cousin Lisa Burns drove up from Houston and College Station just to go to PW with us. I didn't know Lisa (she's cool!), but Marvin was a 7th grader my last year at Chapelwood in Houston...and now he's a big ol' "soon-to-be Aggie". It was such a joy to see the young man of God he's become...rewards in youth ministry are often down-the-road...and having him around was one of those times!

*** Finally, and truly most important, was the way God worked through Mark Matlock and the whole PW team this year. There is an altar call time at the end for people to surrender to Jesus (for the first time or to re-commit), and usually for whatever reason, our kids don't sense the call to do that. That's fine, as I want those times to be REAL...so I don't get discouraged. This year one of my kids (Sage) went down to re-commit, and he opened up about some emotional stuff that he's been dealing with (I knew about them...but he always was "fine"). It was an honor to spend time praying with and encouraging him that God loves him and cares DEEPLY about him, even in hard times... This was (for that and other reasons) truly the most "emotional" PW I've been at. I think I cried at least 3 times. The Matlock's Compassion video about their trip to India (even though I've seen it THREE TIMES). The altar call time I just wrote about. Going "downstairs" (we sat in the upper-deck this year) to pray with Wes and Miles during worship... And maybe even another random time I can't remember. Anyway, God moved. He went above and beyond my expectations, which should NEVER surprise me!

No comments: