Thursday, March 5, 2009

Re-Booted // 2 Corinthians 5:11-6:2


The Ministry of Reconciliation
11Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade men. What we are is plain to God, and I hope it is also plain to your conscience. 12We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart. 13If we are out of our mind, it is for the sake of God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. 14For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. 15And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
16So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21God made him who had no sin to be sin[a] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

2 Corinthians 6
1As God's fellow workers we urge you not to receive God's grace in vain. 2For he says,
"In the time of my favor I heard you,
and in the day of salvation I helped you."[b] I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.


Footnotes:
2 Corinthians 5:21 Or be a sin offering
2 Corinthians 6:2 Isaiah 49:8


Stuff that stood out:

*** 16So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!: What does this mean? What about times when I don't "feel" any different than the guy that existed before Christ became my Lord? These are questions every Christian needs to ponder often. Why? Well, this scripture tells/reminds us that if we have truly been claimed by Christ, then we will be different people on the inside. Oh sure, there are times when I just want to do my thing, don't "feel" like doing the difficult things that are part of being a disciple of Jesus, but I can look back and see the overall change of heart and attitude...to me, this is one of the evidences of my "re-boot" back in 1990...it just takes time (like, truthfully, ones' entire lifespan!). Things are so different now... But, the hard answer we may get to asking if we are truly new creations is when we realize that nothing on the inside has changed. Oh sure, for a new believer much may be the same save a new hope in ones' life due to their realization of salvation, but I know so many that when asked if they are any different now on a heart level then when they "said a salvation prayer", sadly they cannot find any real change...that should keep us awake at night...

*** 18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.: Who re-boots us, reconciles us? GOD. No one else, nothing else. He has done what is necessary to bring us back into the fold despite the countless strikes against us due to sin. Shouldn't that realization be enough to result in the "new" talked about in v. 17? It should... Also, it should compel us to seek reconciliation with others around us, and quickly...because just like it's close cousin forgiveness, since God has offered us reconciliation, we need to be reconcilers as well out of gratitude...

*** 20We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.: What is an ambassador? When I think of that title, I think of people selected by a higher authority to represent their "true home" in a foreign land. This not only involves the sharing of the things of "home" with the folks in this foreign land, but also being a student of their culture as well, learning how to appreciate and "speak their language" (not just literally...). So, how am I an ambassador for Christ? I know many consider America a "Christian land", but sadly, I do not think it is, at least not anymore. Maybe where you live there is not a hostility to the true message of Jesus (even if the folks around you "take it for granted" and haven't truly wrestled with what it all means...), but I can assure you there are whole sections of this country that are quite hostile to Christianity for various valid and in-valid reasons...but the hostility exists nonetheless. So, as one reconciled to God, a rebooted person, I need to represent Jesus to "foreigners" in my own land. I need to learn the "language". I need to see what the customs are. Do I need to use this as an excuse to do things that may not be beneficial to my faith or Christ's message? No...but I do need to take a long look at how (and more importantly, if) I represent my Lord to those around me. Am I welcoming, or do I put up walls? Am I joyful and hopeful at ALL times (even in the midst of great strife), or do I easily become bitter? Do I try to learn about the culture around me, or do I avoid it altogether? Good questions for an ambassador to ponder...

No comments: