Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Getting Away // Mark 1:29-39


Jesus Heals Many
29As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and John to the home of Simon and Andrew. 30Simon's mother-in-law was in bed with a fever, and they told Jesus about her. 31So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.
32That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. 33The whole town gathered at the door, 34and Jesus healed many who had various diseases. He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.

Jesus Prays in a Solitary Place
35Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. 36Simon and his companions went to look for him, 37and when they found him, they exclaimed: "Everyone is looking for you!"
38Jesus replied, "Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also. That is why I have come." 39So he traveled throughout Galilee, preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons.


Stuff that stood out:

*** He also drove out many demons, but he would not let the demons speak because they knew who he was.; verse 34: It's kinda funny that my morning reading asked me to include verses 29-34, as the "point", apparently, of the reading was to talk about prayer. I think one reason I was asked to read this part was to show that in the midst of all the "stuff" Jesus was asked to do, he still got away from it all... But this specific verse was interesting as a bit of a detour from that theme. Throughout the accounts of Jesus, there are examples of him doing/saying something amazing, and then telling the folks impacted to "shush", so to speak. I've always wondered, "Why?" Was it reverse psychology, knowing that we humans tend to NOT do what we're told (aka, when told, "keep quiet about me", we instead run off and tell everyone...you are clever, Jesus!)? I think it actually may be some of that. But the demons here (and elsewhere)? Why keep them quiet? Maybe so that his "revealing" wasn't so blatant yet? I dunno...It has just always been an interesting thing to me I suppose...

*** 35Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.: Here is what stuck out most on a personal, spiritual challenge level to me. You see, I have always struggled with prayer. Why, how, all that. Lately I have been "cool" with the great mystery of prayer and the call to do it obediently, but it still can make me wonder. Can one change God's mind with our requests? I say scripture says "no"...and when there are "examples" of it (usually in the Old Testament), I think God already had stuff in motion, he just "changed his mind" to let folks know he was listening, cared, had a plan, etc. So, I don't buy into what is called "Open Theism": essentially, that God's plan isn't all laid out yet, that we can have influence on his decisions, etc. Problem is, for so long we've been modeled prayer as almost begging God to do what we want him to... Sometimes it is for reasons as noble as healing, etc., but too often it is something petty like, "Make us to win our game tonight." Not sure God thinks it matters if your team wins...maybe, "God help us to keep our hearts and attitudes focused on you tonight in this game so that we play our hardest as an act of worship to you and as a witness to your glory."? There are examples of asking for needs in scripture, so part of the mystery is that, but it also seems those requests are sprinkled with an ultimate request for God's will to be done...

But what is the purpose of prayer, then, if it needs to be much more than just asking for what we want? I think prayer is listening to God, and at times, the words we speak are for US. We are told that the Spirit speaks (and groans)for us when we are in prayer...just what if when we "say things" to God, that is the Spirit reminding us of Truth? Of what we need to hear and remember that day? I often catch myself praying for things, asking God to give me strength, or courage, or eyes to see where he's at work where I may join in, etc., and what happens? Just by saying those things, I'm more likely to remember them that day. I think that is part of God's way to answer prayer. For example, this morning I prayed for strength, wisdom, and clarity about a situation today, knowing that God can do all that in me. And while I did feel strength at that time that I fully attribute to the Holy Spirit comforting my heart, you know how I also know God is answering that prayer? Because I am remembering what I prayed about this morning. My attitude is closer to God because I have been able to be reminded that God is granting me courage. Wisdom. Clarity. And it results in a sense of peace. Could that be what much of prayer is? The goal of peace and trust in our hearts in ALL things?

Questions for me today:

Why don't I seek to get away with God more? What am I afraid of? Is it silence? Is it really hearing God (and maybe not liking it)?

Is one aspect of prayer to just be reminded of what I prayed for, and thus walk on in faith?

No comments: