Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Do You Hear? // Matthew 13:18-23

18"Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: 19When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is the seed sown along the path. 20The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. 21But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. 22The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful. 23But the one who received the seed that fell on good soil is the man who hears the word and understands it. He produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."

Stuff that stood out:

*** I'm going to do this one a bit different than normal. First, instead of posting the entire reading when I had this section (it really started in verse 1), I just did the "what does it mean" section. Second, instead of listing a bunch of separate phrases, I just feel like pondering the whole thing. Who knows where this will lead...

*** I've always been drawn to this parable for some reason. I just think the imagery is so challenging and so true for those who are presented with God's Truth and offer of salvation. I often try to figure out which one is "me"...truth is, I think at one time or another, I've been each of them. I also, though, think these examples are true for folks as a whole. Some hear the Gospel and basically go, "Yeah, whatever..." Some have big, emotional, mountain-top experiences, but in reality it was all "in the moment", or maybe they did it because their friends seemed all wrapped up in God, or maybe they entered into a relationship under the wrong pretense, like, "Jesus will fix EVERYTHING and make your life better!" True? Well, yes...but not like most of us think...sadly so many "accept Christ" it seems so that nothing bad will ever happen to them...or they will get "stuff"...etc. These folks bail (aka, not sure their conversion was "real") when things get tough, don't go their way, or they get challenged to deal with some sin they aren't willing to... I think I relate most with the "fell among thorns" part, albeit I relate at times too well. Why? Well, the "thorny" ones are the ones that really do have a relationship with God, truly have reached a point of real surrender to Christ and want to give everything to him...but too often, because of worry, or distraction, or others' expectations, don't Want to (if you read my blog much, you know what I mean by want vs. Want). We thorny types are too easily brought down to a level of fear, doubt, lack-of-confidence, etc., that hinders us allowing God to speak to (and though) us. My prayer (and thankfully, I have seen glimpses of this in my life, and at times, whole "seasons" where I am here...woohoo God!) is that myself and others will increasingly be like the seed on good soil. The ones who are willing to trust and risk for Christ. The ones who are confident and bold. The ones who make sacrifices to "their wants" in the name of showing others Jesus, and in the name of better seeing the Lord themselves.

So, which one are you?

Questions for me to ponder today:

Which "soil" am I right now? Has this changed?

What "soil" do I need to be? What things may need to happen to get me there?

Do I want to be "good soil", or do I Want to be good soil? Am I willing to do what it takes?

No comments: