Thursday, March 19, 2009

What Do I Know? // James 4:13-17

Boasting About Tomorrow
13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." 16As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. 17Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.


Stuff that stood out:

*** Well, actually this whole section stuck out... In fact, my daily reading contained the first 6 verses of chapter 5 as well, but they just didn't seem to "fit" together today...maybe another time...

*** I will split my musings into two parts. The first is verses 13-15. I see so much of this in life. I make grand plans and don't a) ponder other paths and/or b) give room for God to "do his thing". It seems like James is telling us two things: First, that we often are waaaaay too flippant about our decisions, our plans, and our schemes. I mean, I may get broadsided by a truck while running tomorrow! I have no clue what may happen even in the next five minutes... Oh sure, I should just live my life as best I can, preferably as an act of worship and gratitude for Christ's undeserved love of my soul... Second, verse 15 tells us that in many ways it's all about our attitude as we approach life, decisions, etc. "If it's the Lord's will..." Notice the difference in focus there? It means we can still make decisions, but acknowledges (and is OK with...) that ultimately God is sovereign and in control, and thus he will do whatever he wills in our future for his glory alone. I may have hopes, goals, and dreams for what lies ahead for my family (trust me: I do), and sure, I need to be diligent in seeking wise possibilities, action plans, and decisions. BUT, I must do it all with a focused attitude and heart that says, "If what I kinda want to happen is in your will, ROCK ON, but if not? That's still the best way, YOUR way!"

*** The second musing is focused on verse 17: Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins. I think I've mentioned this before, but when I am confused about God's will, I unfortunately tend to mean the "big, long-term decisions and direction for my life", instead of, "Hey God, what do I need to be a part of TODAY? What are the attitudes and actions that are also your will?" Verse 17 speaks to that for me. There are things I can do every day that are ALWAYS God's will. Treating others with respect. Making Christ first in my life. Loving my wife through thick and thin. Giving my best for Jesus. Listening to others. Repentance. Seeking to let the Word saturate my heart (and that means some tough decisions about behavior, attitude, etc.). And the one mentioned in this verse is so key: Knowing what is right, and still choosing to ignore it...

Questions for me today:

What dreams/goals/hopes, etc., in my life do I need to truly give over to the Lord (aka, so I would be "cool" with a different path of his choosing)?

What are some areas of my daily life that I can seek to be more in tune with who God wants me to be?

No comments: