Sunday, January 4, 2009

Things Learned During the Great Unplug of Late 08/Early 09

Between December 24 and January 3, I did something I rarely accomplish: I basically unplugged. No internet (including facebook), with the exception of twice checking email (and thankfully I didn't have any needing immediate replies). I also, thankfully, had zero phone calls/texts except those dealing with a New Years' Eve party we were attending and needed to correspond over. It was SO FREEING. In fact, the hardest part may have been not blogging! Oh well. On to some random, not-ranked musings from my time:

I have recently replaced listening to music each time I exercise with listening to messages from other churches, most recently from Austin Stone Community Church (www.austinstone.org). I am quite inspired by their message, goals, and mission.

Don't forget to kiss your wife at midnight on New Years' Eve. Ever. Just don't. Trust me.

I think it's funny how some folks just can't unplug (and I noticed it more since I did). I mean, not offensive, just...kinda funny. I was at a party on Dec. 31, and it was a great time! But, at least once I saw over half those attending (and these are folks in their upper-20s through upper-30s) typing away things on their iphones, etc. I guess I'm old fashioned, as I'm the guy who will often "lose" (haha) their cell phone in the car when I'm eating with someone or hanging out... :-) But, I still must be careful not to judge, as I would certainly have huge temptation to surf the web non-stop, update facebooks and twitters, and always be checking my email if I had one of those phones with such capability...

I am a BAD singer, but I must be better than at least some guys, as I beat several folks in the surprisingly fun "SingStar" game.

I really do miss just hanging out with folks. I mean, we have friends were we live now, sure, but not really any we just hang with very often. Every time we get together with the Austin's or Travis' (and the crew that accompanies them), Missy and I just have a ball, and it shows me that I can be quite the social animal when I want to be :-).

Don't forget to kiss your wife at midnight on New Years' Eve. Ever. Just don't. Trust me.

I didn't do my usual "zone out spiritually"-thing like I often do on vacations. I still enjoyed engaging scripture most days, and even finished a GREAT book (Rich Mullins: An Arrow Pointing to Heaven) while in Arlington post-Christmas.

Jax is a hiking hoss. Really, dang. And only 4 1/2, yet so "directionally inclined". I had so much fun on our nearly daily hikes.

While we didn't really get out much while in Kerrville (like to eat, shop, etc.), I still felt refreshed when I returned. Motivated. All those things. Look out...

Don't forget to kiss your wife at midnight on New Years' Eve. Ever. Just don't. Trust me.

I think it may be physically impossible to actually lose weight over the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. I held stead most of Deceber in my typical 185ish-land, and I at least thought I was eating a bit less/healthier than normal (with a few exceptions, of course...but often large amounts of food at meals are NOT exceptions this time of year) coupled with nearly daily exercise in Kerrville (not counting hikes) and, oh, doing about 1200 pushups and 1400 crunches over a 7-day period...I still somehow gained like 4 or 5 pounds. Sigh.

Did I mention to not forget kissing the wifey at midnight, Dec. 31? Ok, I guess I will fess up and tell the story: Yes, I forgot all about that tradition. We were watching the ball drop at the Austin's in San Antonio, and since I am old, I was tired by, oh, 10:30 pm. So when midnight hit, I was zoned out, staring at the corner of the table or something. I missed all the couples kissing. I groggily look up at Missy, who gives me (what I thought was, at least) a brief, playful "air kiss". I look at her confused, kinda chuckling. She got mad. "You didn't even kiss me". Oops. I felt SO BAD. I could tell she was hurt, and although some would say, "Oh, big deal...", you all who are married know that some stuff you just don't mess with. And I guess kissing at midnight on New Years Eve is one of those times for us! Sorry Missy! I truly was bummed that I forgot... It's all good now...

No comments: