Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Pixar Films, Ranked by ME

So I feel like a "random, pointless post" as many lately (and this isn't a bad thing) are more serious... At any rate, here is my personal ranking of the Pixar films to date, with some commentary. I will post in reverse order, and you must know that I even think the least favorite on this list is not a worthless movie...

#9: A Bug's Life: Most of these films are pretty bunched together, and it was hard to truly rank. I do think, however, # 9 and later # 1 stand apart the most to me. I don't hate this movie...but it just didn't capture me like the rest did. Story was just ok, characters ok, humor ok, etc. Just ok. Not a bad movie...but not the best.

#8: Cars: This film has a bit of it all. Some cool animation (especially with all the motion involved in the race scenes). GREAT for little boys (was my son's first trip to the theater, and he loved it). Some good humor by Larry the Cable Guy (and I don't tend to be fired up by him...but he was perfect for "Mater"). But still...kinda dragging...kinda "meh" in parts. But still definitely better than last place.

#7: Toy Story: Here is where things REALLY start to bunch up. I mean, seriously, between #2 and #7 I can think of reasons each should be higher ranked. And you must know, when I saw this film back in college, I was floored. It was such a fun concept. If anything, my biggest gripe is that the film was too short. I wanted more. Thankfully, a few years later, I got my wish.

#6: WALL-E: One the few times I've been riveted for like 45 minutes...and hardly a word of true dialogue was spoken. Just such great imagery, emotion, physical comedy, and even romance and love. It was a bit heavy-handed message-wise ("we are too lazy and fat"... I tend to agree, but I guess I like my messages in Pixar films a bit more subdued...), yet it was a great story. I almost cried a few times for poor WALL-E...he never gave up, always did his job...and was, well, "sweet" in a way that moved me. Oh, sappy me!

#5: Finding Nemo: My main gripe on "Nemo" is the opposite of "Toy Story": in this case, a bit too long. But, whatever you think of Ellen DeGeneres, she was PERFECT as "Dory". The ocean imagery was spectacular. But most of all, I was (and am) moved by Marlin's chase to find his son, Nemo. I would go through the fire myself to find Jax in similar circumstances...and I am also reminded (and comforted) that God chases us wayward kids the same way!

#4: Ratatouille: Despite it not having some obvious reasons to have amazing animation (cars racing, or space, or the oceans, etc.), this film may have been the most detailed animation-wise of all. Plus, just a cool, original story. A rat that likes to cook? Weird...but it worked. Plus, it was the first film (I think) that a friend of ours got to work on.

#3: Toy Story 2: Despite the original's #7 ranking on this list, I truly thought it was an amazing film. But "2" was one of those rare times where the sequel actually was BETTER than the already amazing original. Oh, sure, there have been plenty of "decent" films followed by much better sequels, but not many, to me, were amazing first chapters that were followed by even more amazing sequels. A longer film, better characters, better "quest"...and the dialogue between Buzz Lightyear and Zurg was just priceless. I hear a "3" is being worked on...THE PRESSURE IS ON, PIXAR!

#2: Monsters, Inc.: When I want to laugh, I know I can count on Sully and Mike Wazowski. And I thought this concept was so great, the "monster world". Amazing characters...and to this day, my wife and I use "Boo" as a term of endearment to our son (I know...Boo was a girl...).

#1: The Incredibles: While all the above films are mostly amazing, at worst still decent and watchable..."The Incredibles" is the one film that, to me, ROCKED. Transcended the animation genre. Would have been a cool "real movie". All that. And Edna Mode...oh, just one of my favorite characters ever. "My God, you've gotten fat..." I loved the "60s spy movie/futuristic" mix-feel of everything. In short, a home run. No, a grand slam. I really, really hope Pixar ponders sequels...or, at least, some sort of TV series... Oh, and my son is TOTALLY "Dash" :-).

1 comment:

rattrav said...

good list. Aaron version:
9-Cars
8-Ratatouille
7-Bugs Life
6-Toy Story
5-Wall-E
4-Incredibles
3-Toy Story 2
2-Monster's Inc
1-Nemo (Bruce, Tanker, Chum)