Friday, January 23, 2009

Seeking Upward Attitudes // Philippians 4:2-9

Exhortations
2I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord. 3Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow,[a] help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.
4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

8Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Footnotes:

Philippians 4:3 Or loyal Syzygus


Words, phrases that stuck out:

*** ...agree with each other in the Lord.; verse 2: What a noble concept! What a difficult concept! But what if my opinion is right? But what if the other person is being a jerk? But what if (insert excuse here)? I honestly don't know what this looks like, what "formula" it should have, but I do think God (through Paul) knows best when challenging believers to make all efforts to be agreeable to each other, to get along, etc., despite some differences we my have at times. I know at times some good friendly debate is fine (and possibly necessary, especially in the name of bringing God's nature to light, but too often it becomes overly judgemental, ugly, and non-loving). I know there are plenty of fellow believers that I've had differences with over the years (whether just different vision, or theology, or even just "personalities that don't mesh"), but I prayerfully seek to be respectful at all times, to not jump the shark in those relationships. I don't need to be everyone's best friend, sending Christmas cards to them or anything...but I need to watch how I view, treat, and speak to (and...the hardest...about )them.

*** 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.: I won't lie: while my persona is often a "gentle" one by default, I struggle with this one. I'm not saying disagree, but what about times for "tough love"? Ultimatums? Somehow in God's Way there must be a way to have gentleness...and strength. Because you see, I tend to be either-or (I've seen some areas of "mix" lately that please me...thanks God!), you know, I am either gentle, merciful, and even timid to a fault, or I am a tyrant, control freak, laying down the law. I think NEITHER is The Way. Somehow it's a mix of both... Maybe I need to read more about Tony Dungy, whom from what I can tell, is proof that a quiet, faithful, honorable, and gentle man can inspire greatness and respect in others...and a reverence for things bigger than oneself...

*** 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.: A bunch of stuff here, but decided to keep it as one "part". Don't be anxious...worrisome...but instead live out of gratitude and HOPE (certainty). And when we live that way, guess what? Peace comes to us...and often we or others don't "get" why, because all the criteria make it seem like we deserve to worry, be anxious, wavering, and even bitter. But I can attest to my own life that when I finally get over mySELF and go to the Lord with a broken, gracious heart, realizing the great blessing he has bestowed on me (that I DON'T deserve...), that for some mysterious reason, a peace, a shalom if you will, comes over me. I am more confident. I am more faithful. I remember God's words and promises easier. It just happens. But I realize that no matter how much I can attempt to speak the above truth to some, due to their hardness of heart, unwillingness to hear God speak (because he is speaking, friends...we just aren't willing to hear too often...), many just go, "Whatever, Ben...", as for whatever reason, the Holy Spirit just hasn't broken through yet. I also seek for Me to be able to remember these truths...when I don't "feel it". I know of many times (like now, thankfully) where I seem more in tune with God, and tell myself that I will never fall back into meh, into wearing the "headphones" I so easily do (aka shutting out what God may be saying)...because when I "come back to God" and remember these truths, I'm like, "Ben, you doofus...why can't you remember God's promises?" But I'm praying I will remember now!

*** ...whatever is true...noble...right...pure...lovely...admirable...excellent...praiseworthy... think about such things. 9Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. (sections of verse 8, emphasis mine): I am continually discovering that sometimes God's way to change our hearts is through us doing these things. Being motivated to choose to, for example, seek these upward attitudes that are throughout scripture, and how God uses that to change us, bring peace and strength to us, etc. Problem we have is that too often we want God to change us first , and then we will "be these things". As I told the teens at church recently, "I'm discovering that all the 'church answers' are TRUE: praying, reading and really studying scripture, worshipping, serving, and walking alongside fellow believers really does help me be closer to and more like Jesus." But, we want to be changed first, to have "proofs", etc., and then we may change. I know God certainly can (and has to me before) change me in an instant, but some of this needs to be us waking up daily, regardless of our circumstances/feelings/emotions/desires, and saying, "Alright Lord...show me the way."

Questions for me:

Are there some folks I need to be more gentle with? How am I doing as far as making attempts to at least be "agreeable" to all believers, regardless of what our differences may be?

Where are areas where I can see God's peace in my heart resulting from my gracious love for him?

Is my attitude seeking "up"? Am I proactively doing this, or waiting for God to just smack me around every time to produce this?

No comments: