Sunday, December 14, 2008

We Don't Get What We Deserve...We Get What We Don't Deserve// Luke 15:11-32

The Parable of the Lost Son
11Jesus continued: "There was a man who had two sons. 12The younger one said to his father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.' So he divided his property between them.
13"Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17"When he came to his senses, he said, 'How many of my father's hired men have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men.' 20So he got up and went to his father.
"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21"The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.[a]'

22"But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. 24For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate.

25"Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27'Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.'

28"The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29But he answered his father, 'Look! All these years I've been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!'

31" 'My son,' the father said, 'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' "

Footnotes:

Luke 15:21 Some early manuscripts son. Make me like one of your hired men.


Words, phrases that stuck out:

*** "...squandered..."; verse 13: When I think of the word "squander", I can't help but think of when I take something completely for granted and waste it...and then later feel bad about it. That's what the son here was doing with his inheritance that dad gave him. He wanted all the glory and provision NOW, and all he did was completlely take it for granted and waste it all. I know that's how myself and others too often view God's love, his provision, his promises, and ultimately his grace. We are all guilty (at one time or another...and sometimes we choose to "live" in this place...) of taking the fact that, "God loves me, forgives me, saves me, etc., no matter what...so I think I'm just gonna run off and do whatever I want, fulfill selfish wants and desires, no matter how harmful it may be to me or others in my wake..."

*** "...he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him."; verse 20: If it were up to me, while I may still be glad to see my wayward son, I'd probably have a list of things to tell him right off the bad that I didn't like... But if we are to look at the "father" as God, we need to realize that the list never materializes...all he cares about is that you came home. How powerful! How humbling! I know I should look at God's amazing love and grace (shown in this parable), and weep with joy...and be compelled to walk every step for him.

*** "I am no longer worthy to be called your son."; verse 21: This is a point we ALL have to come to before we can truly surrender to Christ, if you ask me. Many times I "think" I'm broken, contrite, or "sorry", but in reality, I'm still not at the point of humility I need to truly realize God's amazing love for me. The son here realizes his unworthiness...

*** "Let's...celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again."; verse 24-24: And yet, despite the fact that the son squandered everything, took advantage of grace and love, and knows he is unworthy to be called one of his father's own...the father plans a party. Wow. The son deserved to be cast out, shunned, or punished, but he got what he didn't deserve: a party, love, and utter joy from his father. That is how God views us! I mess up like crazy, take grace and love for granted...and God loves me like BONKERS all the same. THAT should make me surrender everything to the Lord!

*** "All these years I've been slaving for you..."; verse 29: but, you see, there is another character in this story I've neglected so far: the older brother. The one who has been striving to live "right" under his father's leadership. One who feels like he deserves favor as a result. One who, if honest, may not be living for his "dad" for all the right reasons... He may be really just trying to gain "points" so he gets perks, blessings, etc. I too often allow such thinking to cloud my mind (and ultimately, my soul). I think that I deserve God's tangible blessings because, well, I've been "slaving" for him: doing works to gain favor and spiritual gold stars on some cosmic behavior chart. The big brother's attitude needs to be a reminder to me that it isn't about all my good works and behavior, and it certainly doesn't need to be all done with a motivation of "getting blessed". God blesses. In his way and timing. End of story. I should instead be crazy-grateful that he blesses at all, even when I run like crazy at times and squander...

*** "...'you are always with me, and everything I have is yours."; verse 31: Here is what God says to us with the attitude of the brother: I haven't forgotten you! The blessings are as available to you as they are to your brother (who ran off). And if you run off sometime...I'll embrace your return all the same.

Questions for me:

Am I the lost son, or the older brother? Have I been "both" at various times?

Does God's welcoming back of "lost sons" make me jealous (If I feel like I "deserve" his favor due to my efforts), or am I grateful that's how I can approach him, too?

How do I take God's grace for granted?

Do I really believe that I don't deserve any of God's favor? How do I react when I realize he gives it despite me?

How can I be forgiving (without taking score, having a list of complaints) to others more like the father?

No comments: