Sunday, December 21, 2008

...captive Israel... aka, us (aka me)

In the song, "O Come Emmanuel", one of the lines is talking about Emmanuel (aka "God With Us", aka Jesus...), where he is said to, "...ransom captive Israel". That resonates with me right now. Throughout scripture, "Israel" is used to mean more than just a small sliver of land on a map east of the Mediterranean Sea. In the Old Testament, it represents a people, God's people, and beyond that time, I believe it is meant to continue representing God's people.

Why should I pay attention to being compared with "Israel"? Well, I don't know how many times I've read or heard various Old Testament stories about the folks back then, and gone, "Come on, Israel! Why the whining? Why the complaining? You just saw the power of God! I wish I could see it as plain as you did, and there you go, following other 'gods', how stupid! How selfish! How weak! How..."

Me.

See, whether I choose the label Christian, or disciple, or Follower of Jesus... I'm still just like Israel. And God, while allowing some hard times, having to endure his people basically ditching him a myriad times, is always there for them. ALWAYS THERE. He promises redemption. He saves them. And yes, ultimately, he pays a ransom for their captivity. This is also what he does for me. I was captive to sin until age 16, when I realized (not through my own mind being convinced...I truly believe only the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart could save me...) that God loves me enough, even in my captivity and allegiance to everything besides him, to pay a ransom for me through the Cross. And while I have been ransomed...oh, how quick I can run. Forget. Shrug-off. Follow "other gods". Even when I've seen God's power and might on personal (and amazing) levels, I still can do all these things just a few days later. I am Israel. But I have been ransomed nonetheless, and thus need to shout with joy!

Some things I am asking and reminding myself today and throughout this season we call Advent/Christmas:

How am I “captive”? What is holding me captive?

Lord, give me a desire to want you to be in control of my life…

Lord, help me rejoice! Show me where you have given me things to praise you for…

Lord, expose my faults, my selfishness, my struggles…and let me feel your forgiveness…

AMEN

No comments: