Friday, December 12, 2008

Be God's // 1 Timothy 4

The title I wrote is in honor of Rich Mullins, a Christian songwriter who passed away in 1997 whom I've always respected...I am currently reading his biography, An Arrow Pointing to Heaven, and in that I learned that Rich signed all notes/letters/autographs with the phrase, "Be God's". I think that applies as a theme to the passage that follows as well...

Instructions to Timothy
1The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons. 2Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. 3They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth. 4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
6If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. 7Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. 8For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

9This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance 10(and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

11Command and teach these things. 12Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity. 13Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching. 14Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

15Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. 16Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.


Words, phrases that stuck out:

*** For everything God created is good...; verse 4: While this sounds nice, it is actually tough thing to comprehend for me. I mean, if all of God's creation is Good...what about stuff that is harmful (like drugs, etc.)? Or, is it that originally the plants, elements, etc., that go into creating a dangerous thing, are Good? Or is it that we use them for the wrong things? Or just when stuff becomes abused, or consumes us? Good questions there...and mystery.

*** Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly...; verse 7: Sadly, I know too many people who label themselves "Christian" that seem to let ideas that are not born in scripture guide them. I mean, sure, there is some good "worldly wisdom" out there, but some of it, while seeming good in theory, isn't necessarily accurate as to God's character and how we are to approach life as his follower. I am always a bit disappointed in some of the books, sayings, etc., that get such support from some Christians...when if you really dig into what they are saying, aren't very biblical. I know this is easy for me to say as I've been spending so many posts lately expunging my thoughts on certain scriptures I've encountered during the day...but who is to say that this "season" I'm in won't hit a big dry spell, as it has in the past? That said, I am often a bit dismayed by the am mount of Christians who have little knowledge about basic Christian doctrine, theology, etc., and thus are too easily swayed by what they hear, read, see...

Paul says we are instead to train ourselves to be godly. I suppose that's why I am seeking to be proactive and encounter the scriptures daily, pray and ponder over them, and later journal thoughts (via this blog). I feel a re-conviction in my heart of the need to seek godliness. But, part of "training", just like physical exercise, means that there are days when we still don't "feel it"...but choose to run anyway. I am seeking that same attitude toward my spiritual training, hopefully...

Why should I do this? Paul explains below...

*** ...godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. ; verse 8: God has purpose for me not just in eternity, but right now as well. I could, I suppose, just kick back, say, "Oh well, I've got my ticket 'punched' since I've accepted Jesus's sacrifice for my sin (although this attitude would make me wonder how real it is/was...)", and ride out life until my body quits working, but I instead should be so grateful to the Lord for saving me (despite my best efforts otherwise) and thus release my control to him, letting myself be molded accordingly so God can use me for his purpose.

*** Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.; verse 12: This verse is a staple in youth ministries, but it rings so true to anyone I suppose, despite your age. For teens, though, it really is a challenge that may be tough... Research indicates that a teen's "decision making center" in their brain is not too well developed...so they tend to do things that are, well, not too-well thought out...and my guess is that it was the same back in Timothy's day. Older generations likely saw most young people as "impulsive, stupid, reckless", and as Timothy was apparently in that demographic age-wise, found it difficult to be taken seriously as he shared his message of Christ. So, his mentor, Paul, told him how to be more "heard": set a godly example by how you talk, live, treat folks, exhibit faith, and treat yourself...all that right there is good for ANY believer seeking to share God's love and message to those around them...regardless of age...

*** Do not neglect your gift...; verse 14: Timothy's gift apparently was preaching/teaching. God has given each of us gifts to be used for his glory...some are more "up front" (like preaching, singing, etc.), and some more behind-the-scenes. No matter what it is, we need to always be seeking to offer the gifts and talents God has blessed us with be used by him. So for me, if I'm gifted in being merciful (because, let's be honest, some folks aren't...and on the flip-side, I am not as "bold" as others, and I do believe a boldness for Jesus is a gift...), then I need to let God shine through a merciful heart that seems to just come more "naturally" to me. So, if one is artistic, they should seek to use their artistry to bring folks in contact with their creator... And in the midst of all this, I need to make sure I am pointing folks to Christ, NOT me...as the temptation (using my "mercy" gift) is for me to be merciful and hope that folks go, "Wow, Ben is so nice and caring...what a guy!", instead of seeking for others to give glory to God through the mercy I may show...

*** Watch your life and doctrine closely.; verse 16: Ultimately, what we believe ends up coming out in how we live. If we believe that Jesus is who he says he is...and trust in the cross for salvation...then it affects our motivations, etc. If we think none of it matters...well, ditto. I always to try and avoid being too much of a "theology policeman" (because I do acknowledge that ultimately, God is a mystery and my human mind can't possibly explain it all), but I do think we need to brush up on the essentials (my list includes God as creator, humans as fallen, Jesus as our only savior and redeemer, Bible as God's word, the Trinity as true, etc.... There's a good basic list. Other issues may be good for discussion, but some differences are sure to be out there...).

Questions for me:

Am I seeking to be God's? Does my life, who I am, etc., flow out of my beliefs? Are they good beliefs?

No comments: