Saturday, December 20, 2008

Not Just for Weddings // 1 Corinthians 13

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Footnotes:

1 Corinthians 13:1 Or languages
1 Corinthians 13:3 Some early manuscripts body that I may boast


Words, phrases that stuck out:

Well, before going into the words and phrases, some quick commentary on this chapter as a whole... When we think of love, too often we equate it with that fluffy, fluttering feeling of romantic love. Now sure, romantic love must have the qualities expressed here, too, but that kind of love is so dependent on feeling, emotion, etc. The love Paul expresses here is timeless, reckless, risky, and above all, a glimpse of how God loves. But we use this passage so often at times where romantic love is celebrated...while, I even think it was a part of Missy and my wedding over seven years ago! That isn't all a bad thing per se, and I think Missy and I weren't using this passage solely for lovey-dovey reasons, but the temptation is/was there. So, I am seeking to look deeper at what this says to me today...and to truly see the depth that this high calling of Love is...

*** ...the most excellent way.; verse 1: This beginning to chapter 13 is in response to 12 (duh), that talks about how believers fit together (via gifts, talents, callings, and passions). It challenges us all to serve Christ alongside one another, and let's be honest: that get rough sometimes. Different gifts, while complimentary and necessary, sometimes create a mishmash of opinions, personalities, and agendas that may not always be God-infused (due to our human sides "shining through" at times). But how do we make it all work? By "the most excellent way..."

*** ...but have not love, I am nothing.; verse 2: Paul goes through a list of various God-given gifts and abilities, but reminds us that we can, say, be the best preacher on the planet, but if we don't have Love behind it all...it really doesn't matter. DANG. I mean, sure, Christ can shine through if I use my gifts, but if I am a complete jerk, or arrogant, or prejudiced, won't my influence (for God's sake) be negatively seen by others, and by default, their view of God could be messed up, too? Not sure if that's something I want on my conscience... I'm not perfect, but the last thing I want is for my lack-of-love to cloud how one sees God. If I don't have love, I don't have squat...no matter what I think of myself...

*** ...it is not self seeking...; verse 5: True love does not think of "me first". When I approach others, whether they are family, friends, or strangers, I need to allow the Holy Spirit to show me how God's love can be shown to them first...NOT me first.

*** ...it keeps no record of wrongs.; verse 5: I think this along with "not self seeking" stood out to me because, well, they may be the hardest parts of real Love for me to attain. As much as I (or others) "think" I don't keep score...well, we are all wrong. I do keep score. Sure, it may appear that others keep score more than I, but it doesn't mean that I never do. And this bothers me. I may even be able to convince myself that, say, I don't keep score with my wife...and for a time, I may not...but usually at some point, I start feeling like I "deserve" things, and yes, start holding it against her. Or, I'll conveniently bring back past (even years past) events that were dividing points between us (that I should have, and even may have appeared to, "let go"...when maybe I hadn't) and use them against her. That, according to this, ain't love...and if I am God's, redeemed by Christ and surrendered to him...he keeps no wrongs, either...I should prayerfully seek the same heart.

*** ...always...always...always...always...; verse 7: Real, godly love is an always thing, not a sometimes thing. Big shocker, this is hard for me! But how encouraging to know that God is "always"...?

*** Love never fails.; verse 8: I love some of the "short and sweet" sentences in the scriptures. They are always so powerful, and I need to pay special attention. Love never fails. Never. The power behind something that can never fail MUST be infinite. We humans can do many things; some of us are truly excellent at those things. But even the smartest, nicest, and yes, most "loving" person...will fail at some point. Only God can have the might and power to never fail. And Love, capital "L", from God alone, doesn't fail. Won't fail. Has NEVER failed...

*** When I became a man, I put my childish ways behind me.; verse 11: This is a verse for me right now. Will I always be playful, fun-loving, and "young at heart"? I sure hope so. But I've had a motivation for some time now (and, in my opinion, and probably others, "it was about time!" haha) to move from being childish and selfish in many ways...to being a man. A grown-up. I know, novel idea (I'm 34...). There are just things that I continually need to let God grow in me, like new passions and desires, and ultimately a renewed call to "man up" in various responsibilities that I've avoided/put on others over the years...

Questions for me:

What parts of "me" am I not allowing love to permeate? What grudges do I hold on to? Where do I need to stop taking score?

No comments: