Saturday, February 7, 2009

Real vs. Just Lip-Service // 1 John 5

Faith in the Son of God
1Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.
6This is the one who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 7For there are three that testify: 8the[a] Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. 9We accept man's testimony, but God's testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

Concluding Remarks 13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 14This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
16If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that he should pray about that. 17All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

18We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him. 19We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. 20We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true—even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

21Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.

Footnotes:

1 John 5:8 Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the sixteenth century)


Words, Phrases that Stuck Out:

*** ...everyone who loves the father loves his child as well.; verse 1: I think it's easier to just love some abstract "god" than to let that love go to this Jesus character as well. Asking one to believe that while, yes, there is a God, a creator, a "force" out there that cares and is watching over us is a nice thing that most folks would agree on. But one that is deeply involved with his creation? One that seeks us personally? One that humbled himself enough to have a "son" that was essentially God walking around with us mere mortals? That is tougher. Too, "Huh?" for many, and at times I can't wrap my mind around it, either...but I know it's true.

*** 3This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4for everyone born of God overcomes the world.: I think that following God's commands is something that is (or should be) a byproduct of God saving me. Not the "means" to salvation...well, some think that God's Law could be a means...if any human could actually attain it...and we cannot, so it becomes a means to expose our failings, our unworthiness, our fallen souls that are against God. Therefore, seeking God's ways and commands should flow from the believer saved by Christ alone. But outsiders look at these commands as a drag. As "no fun". I used to agree, and sure there are even seasons of my life as a follower of Jesus where I can get a case of the "I don't wanna's". But I think the evidence of Christ's hold of me comes when I realize that God's ways are best, and that when I am surrendered to the Lord, the desire to follow his wishes and actually do his wishes just sort of flows... I know my faith is not just lip-service at this point. Of course, the elephant in the room right now is that I unfortunately think there are tons of folks who would quickly label themselves as Christian when asked, but don't have a desire to follow God's commands. They are seen as a burden, as holding back what they want. So I ask: is that person's faith real? Scary question...but one I need to ask myself honestly if I catch myself looking at God's way and go, "yeah, whatever". Thankfully, God's peace in my heart and my being "unsatisfied" when I can tell I'm not in God's will are some examples of my eternal security in Christ, that I have been saved. But, do you ask those questions? Maybe we should more often...

*** 10Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart... 11And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.: If I am truly saved by Jesus, then this is the message written on my heart that drives me in ALL things. I have been given a life that never ends through the Cross. And when I remember how I was AGAINST God for so long before, and that he still went through all that on my/our behalf...it humbles me. It breaks me. Still. And it should! I pray that my life is somehow a reflection of that gift of grace...

*** 21Dear children, keep yourselves from idols.: After all that exposition, all the reminding of the Truths we need to realize and live out, it is almost like John said to God, "Ok, Lord...just one more 'nugget'. What do you want me to wrap up this letter with that will really 'drive it home'?" God said, "Hit 'em with idolatry..." Why? Because it is my/our worship and allegiance to things that aren't of God that stunts all of the "above" stuff in this chapter. When I give into my wants, I am not seeking the Lord. When my priority is money, I am not seeking the Lord. When I just want folks to like me, and am willing to do/say anything to get that goal, I am not seeking the Lord. If I seek to let Christ flow through me, I need to be confronted with (and repent from) those things that become "first" in my life. Sometimes it is obvious stuff (like the aforementioned money, or worry, or just wanting to be cool), but I need to ask God to expose the deeper stuff...the less-obvious stuff...the stuff that others may even look at and go, "What's wrong with that?" Stuff like when I make Missy or Jax my "god". Like when I do all I can to avoid others/help others when I just want to sit on my rear and do nothing (when I've already done plenty of that recently). Like when I set something in motion that is what I want to do, and I throw some "God" in front of it to make it sound spiritual...when I'm not even sure if it's what God wants... Yeah, those are the more humbling questions I must be willing to ask and face the music with...

Questions for me today:

What is the evidence in my life that proves that Christ has saved me?

What if I can't find any?

What idols are at play that take priority over Christ in my life? What needs to change?

No comments: