Monday, February 2, 2009

Innocent Criminal(s) // Mark 15:1-15

Jesus Before Pilate
1Very early in the morning, the chief priests, with the elders, the teachers of the law and the whole Sanhedrin, reached a decision. They bound Jesus, led him away and handed him over to Pilate.
2"Are you the king of the Jews?" asked Pilate.
"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied.

3The chief priests accused him of many things. 4So again Pilate asked him, "Aren't you going to answer? See how many things they are accusing you of."

5But Jesus still made no reply, and Pilate was amazed.

6Now it was the custom at the Feast to release a prisoner whom the people requested. 7A man called Barabbas was in prison with the insurrectionists who had committed murder in the uprising. 8The crowd came up and asked Pilate to do for them what he usually did.

9"Do you want me to release to you the king of the Jews?" asked Pilate, 10knowing it was out of envy that the chief priests had handed Jesus over to him. 11But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have Pilate release Barabbas instead.

12"What shall I do, then, with the one you call the king of the Jews?" Pilate asked them.

13"Crucify him!" they shouted.

14"Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate.
But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"

15Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.


Things to ponder (really not many "words or phrases" as the whole theme seems to apply here...):

Feeling a bit different today, and there was no real "list" of things, so what hit me was more an overall theme to this morning's reading. The main sentence that stuck out as an overarching theme is found in verse 14, where Pilate asks the crowd, "What crime has he committed?"

It is proof to me that we are naturally a fallen bunch, as in the presence of True Good, what happens? We want it to go away. It's almost like a phrase I once heard uttered (and I've uttered many times since), "Mediocrity in the presence of excellence produces bitterness." Why? Well, I just think of times when I'm coasting through life in some area (and doing just fine, thank you), and when I am in the presence of someone who is an A+ in those areas, instead of being inspired, I often get bitter, or make some snide comment ("Oh, well aren't they special?", said sarcastically of course), etc. I think we often, in the presence of Christ, The Holy One, instead of falling on our faces in humility and brokenness, and then rising up in allegiance to him, doing whatever he wills, we act like the "mob" here in the Gospels that knew Jesus was innocent, but treated him like a criminal. We just can't seem to be in the presence of something this Good...it isn't in our nature. We want to be left alone to do whatever we want. Oh sure, we'll give "wanting what God wants" lip service, but often when faced with it... "Oh...never mind..."

I also see this in myself or others on the "flip side" of the coin. I know that right now, for example, I'm feeling very compelled to speak truth into the teens I serve...I mean, I have always sought that as a goal, but what I mean is to share messages that challenge us, expose that our hearts don't tend to really want God (beyond, "It's a nice concept, and the good, American thing to do I suppose...", and what many folks only seem to be interested in hearing). I am seeking to do this in a loving way, and some kids (and adult leaders, btw) seem to really be willing to take the scriptures we are exploring and ask God to expose poor attitudes, motivations, goals, and priorities...but just as many I can tell are simply not interested. I know one teen (that was not in the discussion group I was leading) was frustrated and asked the leader, "Why is it not 'ok' to just be 'ok'?", specifically in reference to one's faith and relationship to Christ. This teen likely just wants to be left alone, to not be confronted with the fact that their faith is on shaky ground...and I know I've been in that place as well at times. When we let darkness creep into our hearts, being exposed to Light is often what we don't want...

So, in closing, while this is a minuscule, selfish speck compared to how Jesus was treated, I can relate today about how I don't feel like I am doing anything wrong (in fact, I truly feel like I am responding to God's will by teaching this stuff), but how I can tell many are not fired up with me for expressing a message of confession, repentance, and allegiance in ALL THINGS (and I mean everything) to Jesus...no, some just don't want to hear it... So in a small way, I do feel a bit like an "innocent criminal"...but all followers of Jesus MUST press on, as so often the world just doesn't know what to do with the message of Christ...we just need to be obedient to the call!

Father God, keep giving me ears to hear and eyes to see your will...give me courage...and remind me that all that matters is doing what YOU want...no matter what others may think, or whether I am "liked", etc. AMEN!

No comments: