Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Doubting (Insert Your Name Here) // John 20:24-31

Jesus Appears to Thomas
24Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!"
But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."
26A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 27Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

28Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

29Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."

30Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. 31But these are written that you may[a] believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Footnotes:

John 20:31 Some manuscripts may continue to


Words, phrases that stuck out:

*** "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."; verse 25: Oh Thomas... How many times have I seen this story and been so disappointed in you? I mean, you WALKED with Jesus in the flesh! Saw the miracles! Heard the teachings and prophecies! What was wrong with you?

Problem is that I have experienced the Lord in many real, tangible ways (maybe not as "real" as Thomas did...but I still was certain of its' reality), knowing that God was present, or speaking to to me, etc., but later on I doubt the reality of it all. I let culture's cynical, over-analytical spirit get to me. I become like Thomas, needing "concrete proof" of all this crazy, mysterious supernatural stuff.

*** 27Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.": Jesus, despite our doubt, offers his reality. I think he still can do this in my current situation, but one think I must realize is that he's shown my a ton of times already. I know the last sentence in verse 27 can look a bit "strong", but I have to be able to look back at the times I knew with certainty that Jesus was who he said he is, that God is real, is speaking, has a plan, etc. Thus, I think Jesus has every right to say it to me. When I waver, doubt all this, etc. (usually due to external circumstances that aren't going my way), I need to remember that night in 1990 when I knew that what Jeff Chandler was preaching about my sin, Christ's sacrifice, and my eternity was true; I need to remember that closing night at camp in 1995 where I heard God clearly telling me to walk up in front of hundreds of people proclaiming he had called me to a life of ministry; I must remember finally having a sense of peace about my "lack of a significant other"...even if it was to be as long as I lived...and then meeting Missy and knowing she was to be my bride (and yes, I think that was a God thing); I need to never forget the night in 2002 when I believe something demonic was going on in my apartment...and how once I prayed for Jesus to "kick it out of here"...everything changed about that situation... Weird stuff, and I know many just haven't had those experiences...but they are signposts to me, proofs to me, "Come put your hand in my side"-moments that I must remember when I waver...

*** 29Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.": I think Jesus is telling me that he realizes how tough it is to "believe" when I physically have not seen Jesus himself...but then again, have I? I mean, when have others in my life "been Jesus"?

Also, I can't help but see this as yet another example that salvation is ALL God's doing in us, not our minds being convinced with the "right" criteria or a math equation. I know that until God showed me the Truth...well, I just simply didn't know.

*** 31But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.: John is talking about the "signs" that were written on our behalf. I didn't live 2,000+ years ago, but that doesn't mean I can't see Christ. In addition to those things I listed above I needed to remember as reminders of Christ, I can always look to scripture. And then scripture, realized and written on my heart, makes it easier to see where Christ is at work in me and around me...you can see the "cycle", huh? This is why the "church answer" of studying scripture for one's own spiritual growth is the RIGHT answer...

Questions for me today:

What is usually the cause of my doubt and wavering faith? Are there some common threads I need to be more aware of?

When I struggle with faith, what things seem to help "bring me back"?

No comments: