Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pondering Romans 8:18-27

Romans 8:18-27 (NIV)

18I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. 20For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21that[a] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.
22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.
26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.


Footnotes:
Romans 8:21 Or subjected it in hope. 21 For

Words, phrases, etc., that stuck out:

*** "...our present sufferings are not worth comparing...", middle of verse 18: I think I am often guilty of a "lack of true perspective" at times when I think about my struggles, start whining and complaining, etc. So our present crud a) is not worth comparing to all the Lord has gone through on our behalf...and when we don't deserve it, and b) NONE of it compares to the amazing wonder in store for us in Eternity...the tough thing is that our human minds can't comprehend it, so we aren't as "excited" as we should be!

*** The word "groaning" pops up a lot: I personally like that Paul (writer of this passage) acknowledges that both we have "groanings", and that they aren't dismissed as worthless. Let's be real: sometimes there IS really rough stuff going on in our lives, and it isn't to be taken with a flippant attitude.

*** The word "hope" pops up a lot: I think the word hope is a word we throw around a bunch, but like Jefe says to El Guapo in the fine arthouse film, "The Three Amigos", when Guapo keeps using the word plethora, "I do not think it means what you think it means." The sidebar discussion in my Bible seems to imply that most folks that the word hope to mean something more like "wishful thinking". Wow. I am sooooo guilty of that. Instead of treating hope as a certainty, a true belief that God is who he says he is, that he keeps promises, has saved me, has a grand plan for my life, etc., often I just treat all of it like wishful thinking...just wondering if it is all really true. And I should know better, as God has proved himself time and time again to me so much in life. My hope should be built on those things, not this crazy lack of faith I too often cultivate!

*** "But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has?"---end of verse 24: Wow. Good slam there! While I do think our hope can be "born" out of past experiences...they cannot be our true hope. We need to, if we truly believe, have a hope in things we can't see, feel, or prove with a math equation...

*** "...the Spirit intercedes...", middle of verse 27: How cool is that? When we don't know what to say, or how to "articulate" things to God when we need to experience his might...his Spirit knows and takes care of it all. Nice.

Questions, ponderings, etc.

Do I have a real hope? Or, is it only wishful thinking? I need real faith and belief...

No comments: