Sunday, November 16, 2008

"God does not promise an easy ride, but He does promise to sustain us"

I am sitting in my office, gathering my stuff for the Sunday morning ahead. As I often do (too often?), I have music on, my "Autumn Morning"-mix, of classical, jazz, piano, ambient, Celtic, etc. There is one set of tracks I have on the mix called "Labyrinth", essentially the guided tour of a prayer path we own (and I've done) at the church. Cool back ground music, lots of good words and guidance with a female British accent (makes it sound more spiritual I suppose...it works).

I may do a separate post on my "labyrinth" experiences, but let's just say the quote I used as the title for this post really just struck me this morning. The lady said, "God does not promise an easy ride, but He does promise to sustain us."

For some reason, that statement fought through the "noise" (of surfing the web, printing lessons, random thoughts, etc.) and reached me. I am grateful. I certainly don't feel like I am going through a rough time or anything, but even when things are generally "good", we need to remember this truth. I think one thing many followers of Christ struggle MIGHTILY with (like, me) is remembering God's promise to save is, sustain us, love us, etc., when "all is well, no complaints." I know for myself, the challenge (and prayer) is to remember this truth not just when it's "all I've got left", but when things are fine-and-dandy as well. I truly don't want to view God just as some cosmic vending machine that dispenses help when things are getting crazy and I shoot some prayer to him. I want to live joyfully and boldly when life is going (all things considered) really well...and remembering that it is only because of God that things are going that way!

But for those times when things are NOT going "our way", we need to grasp on to the knowledge that just because it isn't an easy ride right now, God still sustains. This is another easily forgotten point. We feel entitled to things going our way, or feel like we've been trying to be good, or we look at our life and take score, hoping our "score" results in some sort-of cosmic formula being solved and thus, "God needs to bless me now." It's almost like we think to ourselves (and God), "Ok, I've been nice, I have been praying to you, asking for things, etc., WHERE IS THE GOOD STUFF!!??" We need to realize that God's sustaining, like the British lady reminded me on the Labyrinth track I just heard, isn't necessarily tied to easy times...but sustain He still does. I am able to get up another day. I have a family that loves and cares for me. I eat. I have opportunities to join God as he works in others' lives. These things should be enough, and they are!

Psalm 51:12Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

No comments: