Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Matt Lantz's Election Night Observations

I fully admit that I am stealing all this from Matt Lantz, an old friend and my "little" while I was a member of the TCU BUX (Brothers Under Christ) chapter. I have had many of these same thoughts...and wish to post his list here.

I know some of his comments could be taken as condescending to believers...but I know Matt's heart (or at least think I do) and doubt that is his intent. And I also know many Christians have had a very good attitude and faith about all these things. I just know on election night, once all was decided, many folks, especially lots (not all) younger ones, were very negative, ugly, bitter...so Matt's thought were something I though could be a challenge/wake-up call for us...

1. A historic night - no matter what candidate you voted for. Unfortunately, for my generation and those younger than myself - there is a certain element of this history that we can't fully appreciate because we didn't experience the pain of the civil rights movement. Still meaningful to my generation, but the magnitude of it all is somewhat lost on us...well...lost on those of us who aren't African American.

2. Watching an election has never been so much fun! Throughout the course of the day these social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc were just buzzing with people throwing their support out to their candidate. These sites were in their infancy in the previous election and have really made this process much more interesting. I'm curious to see how these types of sites will be a huge factor in 2012. $10 says we see the candidates more in chat rooms than in gymnasiums (and we'll see Facebook's profits go through the roof!).

3. Apparently, many American Christians are afraid of Barack Obama. That is stupid on so many levels. And, yes, I mean stupid.

4. A lot of American Christians are obsessed with the phrase, "God is in control." Funny how it only comes out when we're trying to console ourselves. ....that's always bothered me. "You keep using that word....I do not think it means what you think it means." :)

5. I'm thinking that many American Christians are afraid they might actually have to stand up for what they believe in now because it is fast-becoming the minority view. And, ironically, instead of standing up for our beliefs, we find it easier to just slander the person who is threatening our cushy lifestyle. Whoops! So much for standing up for those beliefs. (See also1 Peter 2:13-15)

6. I don't agree with any of Barack Obama's policies, principles or philosophies and don't have to - even though he is my president-elect. That's pretty awesome. Hard for me to imagine living in a place where I couldn't freely do that. I probably take it for granted.

7. The single most popular Facebook status of the day: "I am praying for my country." Why are we saying that? Did we stop praying while a Republican was in the White House? Hmmmm.

8. If John Madden were doing the color commentary on tonight's election he would say, "Obama beat McCain - bam! - right now!" I mean, McCain got straight up embarassed tonight. Landslide victory for Obama. Haven't seen one of these in a looooong time. The past several elections have been won by such narrow margins - I can't remember the last time an election was called by 10pm CST.

9. I think John McCain's concession speech was amazing. Everyone is saying that it was 'gracious.' I thought it was inspiring.

10. No one cried tears of joy when George W. Bush was elected president. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have cried if McCain would have been elected - and I doubt many others would have either. Why?

11. I think Obama's election is the best economic stimulus package that George Bush has come up with yet.

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

OK...so many comments...where to start?
#3 How does he know that apprehension expressed at Obama being President is fear??? How many people have actually said "I am so afraid of Obama as president?" Now the Bible tells us in Psalm 128:4 "Thus is the man blessed who fears the LORD." So...there is fear we are supposed to espouse...fear of the Lord. Romans 8 tells us that God has not given us a spirit of fear. We are not to be slaves to fear. So fear in and of itself, unless it is fear of God, is not from the Lord. So afraid of Obama...no many people are probably uncertain about him as his background and stances on many issues are fuzzy. Afraid no...concerned yes. Also calling other Christians stupid (even if you are just refering to their actions and not them personally) does nothing to encourage or build up the body of Christ.
#4. God is in control and yes, people use that phrase when consoling themselves. Romans 13 tells us that "There are no authorities except the ones God has chosen. Those who now rule have been chosen by God." Now when you have a president elect who seems so far removed from Christian principles then consoling oneself by saying God is in control seems like the next step in the progression of being obedient to the authority that God has deemed to be for the United States. What would you like people to say...well God got it wrong this time cuz I think Obama is the biggest Left Wing Liberal on the face of the planet??!!!???
#5. Yes Christians will have to stand up for what they believe...they should have been doing so since Christian values have started to be trampled on...removing prayer from school, the 10 Commandments from public buildings etc...
I think sometimes Christians mix up meek and mild with door mat. But I really didn't think you would have seen Christians rioting like people who wanted Obama as President would have had McCain won nor if the proposition banning gay marriage had failed.
#7 No people prayed for W and are currently praying for our nation...to suggest that a renewed furvor on the part of some people is hypocritical or I am not quite sure what the writer is suggesting. He is questioning why we are saying that...is it wrong to think that now more than ever is time to intercede on behalf of the United States???
#8 Love John Madden and Frank Caliendo even more!!!
#9 How does he know no one cried tears of joy when W was elected??? I did!!!
#10 If an economic stimulus starts with a 400 point drop on wall street we are screwed!!!
I don't know why this bothered me so much...I have so many more important things to be doing. I guess there seems to be such a sanctimonious attitude on so many blogs...can't people just say what they feel, rub one anothers backs in church and affirm that God is in control without being maligned in written form???