Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pondering Luke 2:1-20

I felt compelled to start a more purposeful scripture reading "plan" this morning, so I started. I do have an old, marked up Bible that I love, but felt led to get out a "Serendipity Bible" I got from an old boss (Ryan McCarthy) in 2001 when I was his intern at Christ Chapel in Ft. Worth. It is a New International Version, but has good reading plans for all kinds of folks. I started the "parenting track" this morning...

On occasion, I may put my thoughts down on the passage for the day...words that stood out...questions I have...challenges I feel. They are for whomever God intends...me, you, someone you know...

But, I am going to resist making some "promise" of, "I will put daily reflections", etc. I know that is destined for failure. Let's just say I'll post as I am led/motivated to...and right now, I'm motivated!

Luke 2:1-20:
The Birth of Jesus

1In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2(This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3And everyone went to his own town to register.
4So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

The Shepherds and the Angels

8And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. 11Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ[a] the Lord. 12This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."
13Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."
15When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about."
16So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. 17When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

Footnotes:
Luke 2:11 Or Messiah. "The Christ" (Greek) and "the Messiah" (Hebrew) both mean "the Anointed One"; also in verse 26.

Words/Phrases That Stuck Out
...they were terrified (end of verse 9): Throughout the Bible, a healthy "fear of the Lord" is recommended of us. That usually implies great respect, constant checking of our own actions and agendas in light of our Creator and His might. But how often are we truly scared of God? I think the shepherds here were actually a bit freaked out. I know I would be. The good thing is that they didn't bolt the scene, run home to mommy, etc. They stuck it out. We should be so brave and faithful. I believe sometimes we are too scared to really experience God and His plan. We are scared of "freaky" things that God may actually be capable of. We try to keep things safe and comfortable. I am guilty of this. But I also know there have been times in my life where I kept faith and let God "be God", and while some funky stuff may have occurred (and I have a couple pretty supernatural stories that would make some go, "Ben, you've lost it...", but I was there and of sound mind), I was so grateful to experience it. The challenge is actually allowing it to happen...it seems some of us are scared of what God may do or say to us...I'm glad the shepherds weren't as wimpy.

...good news...great joy...for all the people...(verse 10): We need to always remind ourselves DAILY (and maybe multiple times daily) that Jesus' arrival is GOOD NEWS for us. And when we realize that, it needs to result in GREAT JOY. Not always "happy" per se, but a sense and attitude of hope that can spread...to all people. Believers are too good at not seeming to think that they have good news for others (and themselves) due to the lack of joy. We are all guilty of not grasping this at times, sure, but how many of us know (or, are) folks that claim to believe that Christ has saved them from eternity apart from God (as we will fail in our own attempts to be worthy of God), but in reality are bitter, feel like they got the shaft, or are constantly complaining. I know it is reality that God doesn't promise a problem-free life (see http://haphazardangus.blogspot.com/2008/11/god-does-not-promise-and-easy-ride-but.html), but if we truly believe this is Good news, who we are at our core being should exude joy, hope, peace, and love...

...just as they had been told. (end of verse 20): Hindsight is 20/20...but how many times have we already heard/read/experienced God's truth in the past, but conveniently forget it all? The shepherds had probably heard the prophecies of the Messiah's arrival for years...and this line is a reminder that it was all foretold (you really should do some research about Messianic prophecy in the Old Testament...pretty cool...). We need to remember what we've learned over the years so God's arrival in an aspect of our lives isn't as "shocking" as we often treat it.

Questions to Ponder

Am I scared of God sometimes? What if I open myself to Him...and I learn something that I don't like, or think is too "risky"? I just need to be open...and let God do His thing...have peace and trust...

Do I really believe the coming of Jesus is Good news for me? Is who I am affected as a result? Am I still always a bitter, complaining, glass-half-empty person? If that attitude is my "default"...do I realize that God offers hope, and I need to pray that my attitude is changed? Do I realize that what I project has an effect on what others think of faith?

Am I "surprised" when God breaks through and is known to me? Or did I expect it because I know God is faithful?

This is a "Christmas/Advent"-type passage... How am I preparing myself this year for the remembrance of Jesus' birth? Am I preparing?

No comments: