Monday, September 15, 2008

Wow...Ike Beat up My Hometown

I grew up in Houston. While I am not sure I really want to live there again, it is still home and I always will have a soft spot for the place, like to visit, etc.

But it seems like Hurricane Ike just kicked its' butt.

I was looking at pictures of the devastation (go to www.chron.com to check some out), and I felt all kinds of emotions. Shock. Sadness. Bewilderment. Confusion. Compassion.

But I also felt hope.

Maybe it's the pictures of people coming together to help each other, especially complete strangers and neighbors that until now never took the time to get to know each other. Maybe it the stories my parents tell of finding joy in "playing cards by lantern" at night in their dark, hot, powerless home. Heck, maybe it's because the Bee Gees' "Stayin' Alive" is playing on itunes as I type this. But ultimately, I know that God always pushes through the chaos in times like this. People come together, despite differences. Stories of miraculous rescues and situations arise. People's faith is renewed, or they believe for the first time. As scripture says, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

May times like these bring folks to Jesus. And my ultimate prayer is that this faith continues and isn't just a "flash in the pan" like it can be for some folks. I hope for many it is a true life-altering experience where priorities are changed to put God-first, where attitudes and motivations are forever focused on Him...

No comments: