Tuesday, September 30, 2008

On Being "Content"...

10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

14Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. 15Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; 16for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need. 17Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. 18I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. 19And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
20To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.


Philippians 4:10-20 (New International Version) http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Philippians%204:10-20;&version=31;

The word "content" (as in, "I am content...I have contentment") is a word I've been wrestling with a lot lately. For some reason, there have been areas of life that I just don't seem to be very content with. In some areas, like, say, my personal private time with God, a lack of contentment can be a good thing that hopefully motivates us to higher things. Or maybe some area of life where you just aren't pleased with "mediocre" anymore...at least when it directly involves personal action, attitude or decision. But what about the "external" stuff, situations, and those things that we aren't in control of and only God is? (I know, I know, some would argue that God is even involved in things that "I" control...I know...but I think you know what I mean here).

Well, I am praying that myself and my family will be seeking this "content in all things" attitude that Paul had in the above passage. And while I don't truly believe it is a "formula" or anything, I have noticed at times in my life that God really opens up exciting things after we finally, truly surrender ourselves to him and are just content with the "current". So, here are some things I need to confess and surrender to the Lord...my prayer is that you too will take a time-out and make a similar list...and rejoice in all that God HAS given!

Lord, I surrender...

...my desire for a new car. You have provided us with a vehicle that works, isn't in horrible shape, etc. I am grateful.

...my worries over financial stuff/Missy's lack of a full-time job (and forgive me for seeming to struggle with this way too often). We may have had plans for some of the "extra" money we had, but since we have it, we can still pay bills, etc. That's all we should ask for, and not expect "extra" (and thus not be bitter when extra doesn't exist). Do we eat? YES. Do we have a home? YES. Does Jax have toys, nice clothes, and a place to go to school? YES. God, you DO provide...and I am grateful. Forgive me for my fear...even in these uncertain financial times, both personally and as a nation.

...my sinful feelings of "entitlement" at times. I too often feel like I am "owed" blessings, or praise, or whatever. I am grateful for when they happen...but I need humility and need to not "expect" those things. You are Faithful and you are Love. Let me set an example to this culture of not feeling so entitled to the freedom we have, to the blessings we have, to the forgiveness you offer...

...my fear of the unknown when if comes to your plan for our family. I surrender my desire for concrete messages from you. I know you offer them at times...but you have us in your Hand...and ultimately that is the best place to be!

Paul was content in ALL things. And he certainly (by human criteria) deserved to worry, grumble, or have confusion and bitterness as he was often mistreated, bounced around from town-to-town, was jailed, etc. But he knew his true Source had him in His hand... And when Paul was in need, God provided, often using those around him. So Lord, thank you for providing. Thank you for family that loves. Thank you for friends that care. And help me to be content...Amen.

No comments: