Friday, September 5, 2008

Excited for Our Re-Booted Sunday Evening Event

For the 4+ years I've been in Weatherford, we've had a Sunday evening event called "Elevation". At first, it was just a fun gathering meeting same time, same location...but that quickly got old, so often we would go on "special outings" that many times cost money, but drew quite a crowd. Well, that got old, too, and it seemed like things were just becoming stagnant. Kids were often "meh" about coming.

Elevation was started because when I arrived here, there was no (as far as I could tell) vibrant Sunday evening gathering for the teens, and I decided to have one. The name "Elevation" popped in my head, as I was listening to the U2 song of the same name and decided that the goal of such and event would be to "elevate" the spirits and hearts of the kids involved. But one thing I unapologetically did for the bulk of Elevation's history was make it unashamedly about fun...honestly, there was little overt spiritual content. And that truly started to bug me after a couple years...but I just sensed the teens wouldn't go for more spiritual stuff at Elevation... In fact, one reason I made it more about "fun" was that, apparently, past Sunday eveing events had been viewed as "Sunday School Part 2", and the kids were glad Elevation was something else...

Well, I toyed with short devotionals, tried to plug in a short worship/singing time, but since the rest of the night was usually playing dodgeball or something, it just didn't fit.

Earlier this year, a cool thing happened though...at one of our "HangoutZones" (where kids can come and just hang out after school), a group of 8 or so teens and myself were talking and one mentions making Elevation something deeper...with more purpose. The others agreed, and my heart lept with joy as I had been desiring the same thing for quite some time! I truly believe God had been speaking to us and it was time to ponder changes. We brainstormed alot over the past several months...and this Sunday, we "reboot" Elevation. The goal is for it to be something that al who attend truly "enjoy". Will it be fun? Well, sure, usually...but that will no longer be the goal. You see, I think we can enjoy something without it always having to be fun. I can hear a meaty sermon that makes my head hurt, and it ccertainly isn't "fun"...but I enjoyed it. It was worth my time. It makes me ponder deeper things. So, my prayer is that all attending (no matter the age) enjoy the times of singing our hearts out, laugh at the funny videos and skits, give it their all in contests for prizes, and truly "get something" from our short messages that will be just what they need to be best prepared for the week God has laid before them...

No comments: