Wednesday, September 10, 2008

We've All Got Something...

Romans 3:23 is a scripture verse that hits me like a truck sometimes: "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". I know many dispute that we are all inherently sinful from the get-go, saying that God would not allow His creation to naturally wish to go against Him, or that they may "know" that they are sinful...but not really believe it/acknowledge it, and thus (in my eyes) struggle to truly surrender to God, struggle to really believe that they need God to be in control.

In addition to my own vast examples of falling short for my entire life, I often use, as an example to those needing to realize the depth of sin, the life of my son, Jackson. Don't get me wrong, I thank God every day for Jax, and do believe he's a "good boy" generally, with lots of joy, love and energy. But the boy lies. And he wants his way. And he treats others disrespectfully at times. Did he learn it from his parents? Oh sure, i bet so. From others? Absolutely. But, I have seen this since he was able to make his own decisions. To me, it is just proof that in our heart from the start, we DON'T want to do what's right, what's self-less, what is God's standard.

Problem is, even if we acknowledge that "all have sinned...", we do a really good job of a) rationalizing our own failings too often (and thus not repenting), b) treating various "sins" in different levels (when "sin is sin, period"), and c) often ignoring some of those "under the radar" evidences of sin...

Today, for some reason, I feel compelled to expose some of those "under the radar" examples of sin in my life and others. My hope and prayer is that this won't discourage you, anger you (at me, at least haha), or make you just sigh and give up, but instead realize your continued need and total reliance on God for ALL things (including your cleansing of sin), give you a willingness to be open to those "hidden" areas where God needs to permeate, and if nothing else, bring up the big white elephants in the room no one likes to talk about.

So, what about (in no order):

...when we truly don't ever seem to put God FIRST in our lives? This is ultimately the problem in all other areas of sin. If God really, really was first, all would be well...but alas, more often than not, we don't. I am as guilty as anyone. What are some "not as obvious" ways this happens? When I put my family BEFORE God as a priority...I need to love God more than Missy, Jax, my parents...you catch the drift. And almost as tough, I should want the same from them towards God: I am second. But we don't do that well, huh? We sacrifice all things for our significant other, or some "friend group" we desperately want to be a part of, or more money, or just the desire to "be cool".

...when we use the "God card" to manipulate situations to get our way, or what we see as "best"? Sure, God speaks, and sure, often what He may be saying to us or others can be confusing, but I know too many times where this can be abused or misunderstood. Unfortunately, too often I see this being a major thorn in the sides of those truly gifted in "hearing/sensing God's leading" in themselves and others. At their best, they are true messengers and prophets...at their worst, though, they can manipulate, they can attribute all leanings and feelings to "God speaking to me" (when He really may not be), and ultimately, a "God-complex" can occur. I have great respect for those seeking to be "in tune" with the Lord...but more respect for those who do it humbly, with discernment, grace, and accountability...

...when we rail against certain specific sin struggles/occurrences in others that "freak us out" or we just think are horrible...but turn a blind eye to other sin struggles/occurrences that are culturally more acceptable/"don't seem to hurt anyone"/etc. You know what I mean... We gladly rail against homosexuals, or folks who are divorced, or people struggling with addiction, but conveniently ignore gluttony, materialism, elitism, racism (because I think EVERYONE, no matter what we think of ourselves, is guilty of this at some level), feeling "entitled" to things, or simply just having a bad attitude... The extremes of this sin are either unrepentant bashing, confronting, and judging of those struggling with those "bad, icky sins" while ignoring other issues, and the flip side of just going, "Oh well, we are all sinners...", never taking a stand on anything, and not lovingly seek to bring ourselves and others toward utter reliance on Christ to make us more like Himself.

...when, in view of sin in general, we just go, "Oh well, I'm just a sinner", and make no efforts to rely on God to change our hearts, attitudes and actions. To me, this is just selfish and lazy...and I'm the king of it. I do believe God is continually making me more and more like Jesus (aka sanctification), and I can look back at my life and see behaviors and attitudes that are completely different, but I still catch myself with this attitude at times. You know, when you just want to ignore seeking God at all for a season...or you choose to foster a bad attitude toward something or someone (you know what I mean...like, when folks are bashing someone and you decide to "jump into the fun" instead of walk away...or, gasp!, defend the person...), or decide to lust after something or someone, you know the drill. Basically, I think those who call themselves "Christians" throw in the towel WAY too easily...

...when we treat God like a "cosmic vending machine" of forgiveness. You know, when we either do something wrong, but after just go, "sorry God...thanks for forgiving me", and make no attempts at repentance and surrender, or worse, we knowingly go into a situation with every intention of doing the wrong thing...but in the back of your mind go, "God will forgive me...it's cool." Does God forgive and forgive and forgive? Absolutely (and we need to rejoice in that and let it motivate us to better things), and actually I tend to see forgiveness not as something God does again and again, but as something He did once and for all on the Cross... The key is we need to REMEMBER it and allow it to truly sink in and affect us... Sadly, we often don't...

...finally (not that there aren't other examples), when we, as I alluded to earlier briefly, feel "entitled" to blessings, or that we deserve anything. I catch myself here as well: "God, I've been trying so hard...can't you throw me a bone here?" Now, I do believe God blesses us IMMENSELY, when we stop to really look at things...problem is, we want blessings using our own criteria...and our timing. I also don't personally subscribe to what some call "name it and claim it" or "prosperity" theologies, where if you REALLY believe, you won't get sick, or won't have hardships, or will get tons of cash, or will basically get whatever you desire...to me, that completely cheapens what Jesus did for us...

So, my hope and prayer is that I (and we) will be willing to allow God to completely permeate, expose, motivate, and CHANGE us. We need to realize that sin is sin, and sin is "us". We are nothing without Christ. And instead of just going, "Oh well, Que sera, sera", toward all this...well, we need to fall on our faces and follow our Lord again...woohoo that God will always be faithful, LOVE us, and pick us up!

Amen.


...

No comments: