Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Who We Are Instead, v. 3.0

v 1.0: http://haphazardangus.blogspot.com/2008/01/who-we-are-instead-v-10.html

v 2.0: http://haphazardangus.blogspot.com/2008/01/who-we-are-instead-v-20.html

First, read Galatians 3: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians%203&version=65

So we are asking ourselves what type of person God wants us to be if we are to be broken from the worlds’ mold. Well, one way following Jesus is different from any other “way” is that it truly isn’t about following a set of rules to be “good enough” for God. You look at most other faiths (and I want to say “all” but not 100% positive, so “most” will do) and it is all about being good enough…worthy…getting points. So, are any of us able to truly be worthy? Well, I know I’m not...

Look at V. 2-4: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians%203:2-4;&version=65;

Ask yourselves some of the questions Paul just posed…and I bet that even if you “know” it isn’t about gritting your teeth and getting “God points”, some of you still live there.
Now look at v 11-14: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians%203:11-14;&version=65;. When we try to rule-keep, we fail. So what’s the point? To make us rely on Christ…and that concept it foreign to some. Everything tells us we have to follow rules to “make it”, and thus it is easy to say to ourselves, “If it ain’t about rules…what stops me from just running around being a sin machine?”

GK Chesterton says: …the more I considered Christianity, the more I found that while it had established a rule and order, the chief aim of that order was to give room for good things to run wild.” Is there a Law? Yes. Does God give us commands? Yes. But Chesterton acknowledges they aren't there to "get us to heaven", but instead to allow us freedom to do the Good God desired for his world...

The Law is there…and should not be ignored…but when I realize that Jesus dissolved my “curse”, and if I truly believe I was cursed (that’s the hardest thing, we all seem to think we are “good”), then I realize I am free…free to live for God by paying attention to the Law, but breathing a sigh of relief because I know I can’t do it myself…so I just ask God to keep on changing me and making me more like Jesus bit-by-bit…

V 21-22 basically shows us the purpose of Law: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians%203:21-22;&version=65;

Finally, the chapter ends with a statement that is truly different from the norm…read v 25-29: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians%203:25-29;&version=65;

Faith, belief in something “out there” that truly gives a rip about you, is what it is about. If you believe you are cursed by trying (and failing) to abide perfectly by rules, you get discouraged. You may even say, “what’s the point? I’m gonna sin anyway”. I would argue that attitude say you don’t get it yet…yeah, I know I will always struggle, but when I do, I know God is with me and even if I stumble, I quickly remember Jesus’ forgiveness and move on. It helps…if I live out of thankfulness for Jesus taking the curse for me, it changes how I view God, myself, others…Finally, Paul talks about how the walls are blown down as far as the divisions we put between each other. Gender, race, etc…none of them matter when it comes to Jesus’ love for us. And so it should be with each other. And THAT is something we should be instead of the typical near-hatred I see sometimes…

Things to Ponder:
· What are some things in your life that don’t go well if you don’t follow the rules to them? (sports, classrooms, relationships, etc.)
· Are any of you perfectionists in some area of life (if not every area?) How do you feel when you mess up?
· How do you react to messing up in your faith?
· Does the statement of how you may not “get it” if you just non-chalantly move on after sin without repentance, realization of God’s presence, love, etc., make you feel? Agree? Think, “uh-oh…”?
· Do you really feel like you have a “fresh start” when you come to faith? What changes about you, your attitudes, etc.?
· Finally, what do you think about the last statement Paul makes, about us all being equal as far as our common relationship to Christ? Do you really view others who are younger, or different race, or financial status, etc., as equal? What would happen if we did?

No comments: