Friday, January 4, 2008

Happy New Year (finally) and a book recommendation

Happy 2008!

Had a good time in Kerrville, good holiday in general. Overall I am feeling good about getting back in the swing of things, with a few things (like "Sunday School block") I am struggling with a bit...

I also have a bit of "blog-block" too...several ideas, some subjects I've been pondering about, but whenever I seem to have time to blog, my mind gets unfocused. I'll work on that...

I will leave you with a book recommendation: "To Own a Dragon", by Donald Miller (http://www.amazon.com/Own-Dragon-Reflections-Growing-Without/dp/1576837319). Its' premise is on "growing up without a father" (something I can't relate to...have a great dad), but I decided to read it anyways to see if it could be worth offering to some folks I know, etc. BOY IS IT! Even with a good "dad model" in my life, I still found so much wisdom and influence in this book. Miller and I, save for his lack of father growing up, seem to have similar personalities (and thus, struggles/default attitudes), so I still found much to personally reflect on. Bottom line: if you or someone you know has always struggled with viewing God as a true Father, or if you yourself struggle with what "being a man" is really about, or even if you are a woman wanting to know what kind of guy you need to "look for", this book has worth.

I know too many guys who struggle mightily in their faith, attitudes toward women, leadership, decision making, and themselves due to the lack of a dad in their upbringing. Donald also shares his experiences with a "mentor" (John MacMurray...who gets a co-authorship mention as a result), which in addition to some other sources (like, my wife's request) I am considering for myself. Yet, and this is important, Miller makes sure to remind all that mentors, "dad-figures", etc., are NOT replacements for a lack-of-dad. God is the only one capable of that, but we have to understand that desire of his to be our true Daddy. And (and as a youth pastor, I have had this unrealistic expectation put on me before from families lacking "Dads"), Miller makes sure we all know that we can't expect "true fathering" from others. Guys like me, in "male leader" roles, can be examples, offer time, love, and wisdom, but to expect us to be "replacement dads" is unfair...

Anyhow, a great read for anyone.

No comments: