Friday, February 1, 2008

My List of Most "Beautiful" Film Characters (not what you expect..)

No, I am not meaning "pretty" characters, but, you know, those characters you watch and just go, "THAT is one great (and usually funny) human being..." So, here is a fun list, and it's just partial (I could always think of more)...would love your comments...

Irwin M. Fletcher, from "Fletch" and "Fletch Lives" (Chevy Chase): Chevy Chase in the 70s and 80s was pure gold, and as a result, you'll find him a few times on this list. As Fletch, he was so great...smart aleck, funny, quick witted, etc. And a freind of mine who is obsessed with the films says much of the dialoge was ad-libbed. Awesome. My favorite Fletch "creations"? John Cocktoston, the airline reparman ("It's all ball bearings nowadays!"), "Claude Henry Smmoott" (televangeslist in "Fletch Lives")...

David Wooderson, from "Dazed and Confused" (Matthew McConaughey): I tend to like McConaughey, but he nailed this character, the "older guy still hanging around high schoolers" in the mid-70s. "Dazed and Confused" has many beuatiful characters, but Wooderson takes the cake. "Alright alright alright!" "I get older, they stay the same age..."

The Dude, from "The Big Lebowski" (Jeff Bridges): So wonderful, the proclaimed "laziest man in all of Los Angeles, which probably means he's one of the laziest men in the whole world." So laid back, so funny, so confused. He just wants his rug back, man.

Walter Sobchak, from "The Big Lebowski" (John Goodman): The Dude's best friend, a Vietnam vet still affected by the war, and a converted "Jew" ("I don't roll (bowl) on Shabbos!"). Addicted to bowling and anger. And the schemes he plans (and is so sure of their success) are just hysterical (and doomed to failire).

Ty Webb, from "Caddyshack" (Chevy Chase): Ah, Ty... I can't help but love his shenanigans. Watching him golf is a joy, almost as good as his, "I was born to love you..."-song...

Stephen, from "Braveheart" (David O'Hara): Gotta love Stephen, the crazy Irish fighter ("MY ISLAND!!!!"). Obviously crazy (I love his quick "Yes Father, I'll tell them!" in mid-sentence as he is speaking with fellow fighters...hearing from God? Possibly. Crazy anyway? You bet. But fiercely loyal...I would want him on my side.

Derek Smalls, from "This is Spinal Tap" (Harry Shearer): You could add just about every charachter from this groundbreaking "mockumentary" gem, but I just love Derek, the "intellectual" bass player from a washed up British rock band. AWFUL stage outfits, getting busted at the airport security due to a foil-wrapped cucumber (I'll let you figure it out), "jazz odessey", etc. Brilliant.

Ok, a good enough list for now. I may add more as I feel led.

No comments: