Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Interesting "Alternate Commentary" on the Film "Juno"

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YzNlNzlhOWFkMzEyMTI1OGZiZmJkYWFmMzYzY2I2OTQ

I myself have not seen "Juno" (but I understand I really need to), butl like the article said, most commentary has been about its' title character choosing to not have an abortion (which, believe me, is nice). But as one who can struggle with being a "grown up", often getting bitter because life is simply tougher as you grow up, with no-fun responsibilities, demands, etc. (see http://haphazardangus.blogspot.com/2007/12/ramblings-and-rants-about-myself-not.html for a treatise on my struggle/frustration), but is trying to truly "man up" and own my calling as a leader, husband, father, etc., I can't help but agree with this article's sad commentary about disinterested boys and "child-men", refusing to grow up, seemingly bitter with life after marriage, careers, etc. In fact, I know friends that "jokingly" refer to their life as a family man as "no life", with a chuckle, sure, but as they say, "there is some truth to all sarcasm..."

I mean, I'd be lying if I NEVER longed for the "easier" days of childhood, college, etc., with few responsibilities, limitless time to do whatever I choose, etc., but as a husband and dad claiming to be a follower of Jesus, I need to let those desires go...just like he said, I must lose my life (aka my desires, wants, etc.) for the sake of others, ESPECIALLY my fmaily... Problem is, in today's American culture, that view is seen as almost offensive. We are told we are to seek personal happiness above all elses, no matter who gets thrown under the bus (including wives, kids, friends...). So, to promote sacrificial living is so "other". But, despite my occasional struggles, I can truthfully say that the joy I get from loving my wife and son, assisting and serving them unconditionally, and watching them succeed far outweighs everything else...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ben,
Uh - you might want to see the movie. I'm not saying it will change what you are saying - but I can tell you that review is TERRIBLE. Don't get me wrong, Bateman's character is a jerk...but the wife is just as bad. She clearly doesn't love him, she's just using him to try to get the baby that she already loves way more than she does her husband (whom she treats like he's a kid). She's definitely not the hero the reviewer makes her out to be - I hope that lady is single.
Funny movie, though. Juno's parents are fantastic characters.