Wednesday, November 7, 2007

i've decided i really, REALLY like foo fighters

It's been awhile since I got truly excited about a musical artist. I mean, occasionally I'll hear a cd or song that's fun for awhile, but there are few artists that truly "stir me up". One is U2. Another is the David Crowder* Band. And now, Foo Fighters...

Not that they are new, either in reality or to my ears. I remember back in '94 or so when I heard that Dave Grohl, the drummer from Nirvana, was in a new band where he was singing and playing guitar. While I was impressed he was diverse in his musical talent...I had no idea he was so gifted he could actually play EVERY instrument on the album (at least the first one; later albums used different musicians). I enjoyed most of what I heard form them for 13 years or so while never really "being into them". They were just a decent band, better than most out there at any given time, but for some reason I never allowed my imagination to be gripped by them.

Well, I ended up with several songs of theirs on my ipod, including a few that were rockin' enough to be added to my "ExcerRock" playlist. This is my "running/cycling" playlist of songs that just rock, make you want to pump your fist in the air, etc. Keeps me moving. But usually, lyrics don't matter. After listening to a few Foo Fighters songs on that playlist (and thus others due to my being so impressed), they are now in my eyes a rare band that a) rocks and b) lyrically rocks and seems to sing with purpose. A perfect example (my favorite song right now?) is "No Way Back" from their CD In Your Honor that came out in 2004 (I think). I'll post lyrics and comment on them in a moment, but first, a small diatribe...

***I am not one of these folks who think the only stuff worth pondering is overtly "Christian" stuff. Music, books, art, etc. While I am not one who thinks "anything goes" either, I do believe God can speak to us using things out of left field. Things that, at first glance, might not be "Christian". What I am about to share may be one of those times where something not overtly Christian has had a profound effect on my faith...and inspires me...

No Way Back
by Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters

Lately, I've been
Livin' in my head
The rest of me is dead,
I'm dying for truth.

Make me, believe,
No more left and right,
Come on take my side,
I'm fightin' for you,
Fightin' for you.

Pleased to meet you take my hand,
There is no way back from here,
Pleased to meet you say your prayers,
There is no way back from here,
But I don't care,
No way back from here.

Wake me, I'm ready,
Somethin' don't seem right,
I was dreamin',
I was talkin' to you,

Memory, mend me,
Know I've seen my share,
Things I can't repair,
I'm breakin' to you,
I'm breakin' to you.

Pleased to meet you take my hand,
There is no way back from here,
Pleased to meet you say your prayers,
There is no way back from here,
But I don't care,No way back from, here.

Pleased to meet you say your prayers,
There is no way back from here,
Pleased to meet you say your prayers,
There is no way back from here,
But I don't care,
No way back from, here.

I have no idea what Grohl's personal spiritual bent is. But for some reason...I see God in this. I see someone screaming their heart out for Him. I see reckless abandon. I see risk. And it fires me up inside. "No way back, and I don't care." New creation, anyone? "Old is gone, new has come" anyone? Take up your cross and follow? Drop your nets? I see all of that in this song. A cry for truth, to follow in faith, to be broken and put back together by God. I ran to this song yesterday, and was the most encouraged and fired up to follow Jesus as I've been in a long time (and things haven't been necessarily "dry" lately). It was awesome.

So amazing how the Lord speaks to us...even out of left field. Even with the Fighters of Foo.

1 comment:

rattrav said...

until last year, this was the band that i liked the most that i did not have an album of. that has ben remedied.