Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Proud of My Wife

I'm so proud of my wife, Missy.

No, that doesn't mean she got a teaching job (yet).

She hasn't recieved some award.

She has simply impressed me mightily with her proactive trust in God lately.

It certainly hasn't been easy. Far from it. You see, Missy and I are wired quite differently in many ways. It sometimes can make things a bit "interesting" (haha), but ultimately, I believe our differences are quite complimentary, and in the end show that God knew what he was doing when he threw us together (via my car breaking down) back in 2000. No, she doesn't "complete me" (a false hope and expectation that can doom marriages from the start...future post?); only God can complete. Anyways, you see, I am naturally positive, glass-half-full, seem to be singing the song "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (cue whistling). Faith that God will provide, in his plan for us, etc., is generally (if not all the time) easier for me to have. Not so with Missy. She herself would tell you (and thus I feel ok saying) that she is often naturally glass-half-empty, can dwell on "what's going wrong", and even easily goes into what we call the "downward spiral": things not going our way, and so other "little" things that are normally no big deal increasingly are seen in a negative light, etc.

So what has amazed and encouraged me so much lately is how she has trusted God in our "troubles" lately. She has worked so hard to get her teaching certificate, to find a job, etc., and yet still nothing... But she soldiers on. I truly am inspired by her proactive seeking and trust of God during this time. You see, this doesn't come naturally for her. She did not "grow up in the faith" like so many of my friends did, and thus "God stuff" often permeates our thoughts, language, and paradigms. She has to release her natural tendencies to God and allow his peace and comfort to take over.

And I am so proud of her for doing that lately. As I've experinced recently, it's been my faith and attitude that has often struggled, not hers. God is using her to encourage me in my faith.

Thanks Missy...I love you!

1 comment:

rattrav said...

Good job Missy. I have lived in times past with a "Glass Half Empty" person and know it can be a very difficult thing to wait and trust on God. So way to go, on your patience.

Can't wait to see you in September. Better brush up on your Guitar Hero.
--Aaron "Van Halen" Travis