Monday, August 13, 2007

The Dice Game Cometh (hopefully)

So, for years I have had a hobby called "the dice game". Basically, I create sports leagues (real or fake) and play out the season. In the past, I used only two dice to roll, assigning teams a "power rank" of 1-to-6, 6 being the strongest team. You roll, and depending on the discrepancy between teams, it is harder for weaker teams to win (much harder, say, for a 1 to beat a 5 instead of a 1 vs. 3). I early on noticed the math inadequacies if I wanted a "true" game (I won't bore you with details...but the math geeks will quickly figure it out), yet for years kept the same methods due to it's ease.

Last year, I changed it up completely, producing a truly unbiased method: teams are still ranked 1-6, but the ranking determines how many dice are rolled. For example, if a 6 plays a 4, each team rolls their proper amount of dice, and you simply add up the totals for a head-to-head victor. In some sports, the great distance between a 1 (6 possible points) and a 6 (36 possible points) is probably too unrealistic, especially in pro sports...

...but in, say, Division 1-A college football, it is PERFECT, since, come on, Duke will almost NEVER beat USC...but if Duke rolls a 6, and USC rolls six "ones", forcing overtime (which is a one die vs one die "roll off"), it could happen...but HIGHLY unlikely...

So, I will give periodic updates (weekly) on some results of the 2007 NCAA Div. 1-A "dice game". I am using the "helmet schedule" that was also made last year (http://digg.com/football/2007_College_Football_Helmet_Schedules), which is simply fun to have in general! If I can figure out how to post the actual document, I will, if not, I will post weekly "Top 25s" (according to my results, not "real"), some big game results, upsets, etc...

No comments: