Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My "I Want to See That Concert Before I Die" List

I have always loved live music. My concert attendance is certainly less frequent than, say, the mid-90s (went to a ton of shows from 1993-1997...hey, that coincides with my senior year of high school and my TCU years...). Saw artists like Rush, Sting, King's X, The Samples, Lenny Kravitz, Dave Matthews Band, etc. I have seen others before or since (U2, Van halen, Jimmy Buffett, Bon Jovi, Creed, Delirious, etc.), but below is my list of bands/artists I'd love to see before I die...

The Police:I am actually getting to check this off my list tonight! Woohoo! I have always been a Police fan...in fact, "Synchronicity" was like my 2nd or 3rd cassette tape purchased EVER, like in 1983. But, they split up after that one... I love (and have seen twice) Sting, and always appreciate him playing 4 or 5 Police songs per set, but to me they are different "entities". Sting has a very cool thing going on, and a great band, but there is something magical about the trip of Sting, Stewart Copeland (one of my favorite drummers) and Andy Summers bringing the "Regatta de Blanc". And growing up, they were always on my, "If they ever get back together and tour..." list... I'll give a review tomorrow...

Led Zeppelin: In high school, Zep was one of the "holy trinity" of bands my best friend and I had, meaning, if either Zep, Rush, or Van halen was on the radio, all "channel surfing" had to stop for that song... Well, you probably know Zep has been broken up for, oh, 28 years...but there are rumors stirring...and a recent "one-off" concert that apparently went well...so I hold out hope. This may be my remaining concert I would be willing to travel far for, just to see...

"David Lee Roth" Van halen: This is one I was never sure would happen...but it is. I realize I have already missed two DFW-area shows in the past year... I have already seen "hagar-era" Van halen (in fact, my first "real" concert in January of 92), but if Eddie can stay healthy, I may just be able to hear "Panama" and "Unchained" the way they were meant to be...with Roth...

U2 (again): This may be asking alot, but even though I love to turn up Van halen to 11, when asked what my "all criteria considered" favorite band is, I have to say U2. Now, technically they shouldn't be on this list anymore (I finally saw them in 2005), but dang it, it was incredible...and I want to experience it once more...

Metallica: For various reasons, Metallica has always been my favorite "rock your face off sonic assault"-type band. Never my favorite band, but in the top 5 or 10 to be sure. And just legendary to my generation (rocker children of the 80s/early 90s).

Def Leppard: While The Police's "Synchronicity" was my 2nd or 3rd cassette purchased...my first EVER was Def Leppard's "Pyromania". I wore that thing out (and did "hysteria" 4 years later). Cheesy? You bet. But it "works". There was a 5 or 6 year period (my late-elementary through middle school years) where they ruled the world...and it was fine by me. They still tour and make music, and while they may be a characature of their former selves, I hear they can still bring it live...

1 comment:

rattrav said...

i can't believe Air Supply did not make your list...