Wednesday, April 16, 2008

we finally found him...

Well, the 5 years (or so) search for one of my best "growing up" friends has ended...we finally found Andy Payne!!!

I last saw Andy at Scott Austin's Wedding over 5 years ago... At first, our lack-of-contact wasn't too alarming, as we were already seeing the reality of less contact with old friends as a result of adulthood, marriage, moving around, etc. (and because, well, Andy, bless him, never was a very "proactive" person in contacting others), but before long, the questions started lingering..."has anyone talked to Andy?" became, "Does anyone even know where he is anymore?" Old email addresses proved extinct. Phone calls unfruitful. There were rumors of him still residing in Austin (his last known locale), but no one could find him. The only evidence we found of his existence for many years was a web search done my Aaron Travis showing a year-old (in 2005 or so) picture of Andy at a technology conference.

Well, a couple weeks ago, Aaron sends me a link...which appeared to be a blog by Andy. I got excited, and even commented on it (hoping he'd read and respond), but then realized the site had not been touched for nearly a year. So I did a Facebook search...nothing. Added "Texas A&M" to the search...only produced one hit, and he was much too young. Finally, added "Symantec" to the search (his employer according to blog site). One hit...and the picture looked like it could be "Andy, age 33". So, I sent a "cold message" seeing if it was him... No replies for some time...until...

I GOT A REPLY YESTERDAY!

It is him. Andy Payne has not yet been assimilated by the matrix (haha, if you know Andy, a computer genius, you would get that). I got some new contact info and hope to re-connect our friendship. Several of us are rejoicing (Myself, Scott, Aaron, and others once we spread the news).

And now I look forward to renewed discussions on things like:
*** Supergroups
*** "Blaxploitation" films (we had a time where we would rent and watch 70s classics like "Shaft", "Coffee", "Superfly", and "Dolemite")
*** The beautiful sayings of his father, Pat Payne (really...that guy had some gold come out of his mouth when we would hang out...)
*** And much more...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.