Thursday, April 24, 2008

is everything about to change?

I was having a good conversation yesterday when that fun topic of "rising gas prices" came up. Folks started commenting/complaining (I did a bit as well...$70 to fill up my Explorer yesterday???!!!), and I chimed in. I basically said something like han Solo (and Obi Wan...and Anakin...and like 57 other Star Wars characters...): "I have a baaaad feeling about this..." Well, not sure if bad is what I said, but more along the lines of, "I think everything's about to change, or else we (as in "Americans being able to keep on living like they do") are in big trouble."

I mean, think about it. We have had it "good" for so long...eating what we want, buying what we want, driving what we want (and how much we want). But it is all starting to balloon. Everything is connected. Oil goes up so gas goes up so everything else goes up since all machinery/transportation, etc., is reliant on it... So I heard Sam's/Costco (big wholesale "clubs") are starting to place limits on items (like rice) since they are catching restaraunts hoarding things due to a fear in rising future costs. What's next? Is the middle class truly about to be squeezed out (aka me) as no one but the wealthy will be able to afford anything? I do wonder... I do love our country and its' freedoms, but one freedom I have long worried would "bite back" one day is the ability to make as much money as one can legally (and often using loopholes). Is it a bad freedom in itself? No, but as we all know too well, most humans aren't able to moderate themselves... So, the rich get richer, and often at the expense of others with little remorse because "it's my right." Well, I suppose so. But I just hope all these issues do cause us to take stock in what is truly important for us. Simplifying things, being content with less/smaller. Seriously, we could really "downsize" and still be one of the most affluent-living peoples of the earth. It may not be so bad...forcing us to not drive everywhere, actually foster relationships with others, "unplug" a bit...the list could get big.

But I fear we will all "stand our ground" and still demand to have that giant pickup truck (that we have no business owning...since most aren't farmers, ranchers, etc.), demand to get that giant flatscreen, or demand to go eat at only the best restaraunts 4 nights a week. And so to keep up with the Joneses, folks will go even deeper in debt, attitudes will suffer, and folks around the world will show disdain at our "Whining"...like we know what it means to truly have it bad...

I know, I'm sounding like a fear monger. I guess "fear" isn't the right word. I just want God to teach us what we need to do...and pray a lot of us have the cajones to actually ponder what he may be saying. I don't know what this all means...but nevertheless (despite my above post...more a pondering than anything), I am grateful for the life I've been blessed with!

PS: I also realize it seems like I am bitter at "rich folks". I'm not, and I have little room to talk: for much of my late teen-through college upbringing, my parents did VERY well (like, I have no idea how well, I imagine) and I certainly benefitted. Went to a good college. Got a brand new car for "early graduation" Went on sweet family vacations. Some stuff happened to certainly lessen their fortune, but they still do quite well. I love my family, and I think they are a shining example of selflessness, giving, and living for the Lord. Perfect? Are any of us (they'd admit they aren't perfect)? But compared to many who have "made it" at one time or another, they are good folks to emulate in attitude and deed.

No comments: