Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Wintry Fun

So there is just something fun about wintry weather to me. My wife thinks I am weird about it (rightly so), since I check radars, look outside for minutes at a time, look for any excuse to get out, etc. She doesn’t get it. For me, I think it is a product of growing up in a place (Houston) where it almost never ices, sleets, or snows. It is even a big deal if it gets below freezing during daylight hours at all. Where we live now (Weatherford, TX, just west of Ft. Worth) is fun, because we are good for at least one or two winter storms a year, some more intense than others. So far this fall/winter, we have had some sleet and snow (in Dec.; Jackson and I had much fun playing in it) and just this weekend we had quite an ice storm, from Friday night until now (Mon. morning). The sun is finally starting to peak out, but it is in the low-20s and last night while we slept the biggest ice/sleet event of the storm hit. The roads/sidewalks finally iced over, white on the ground, etc. Just a pretty scene. Maybe The Boy and I will get out later to play J.

Folks living south of us are likely jealous (for reasons like mine I stated above), while folks living north of us likely think I am crazy. Let’s just say I understand you northern folks; I spend about a week in Minnesota during winter in college, and there were several feet of snow on the ground, the temps never made it out of the single digits (often below zero), etc. While it was initially quite exciting, I can even admit that by the end of the trip…I was pretty “meh” about it all and ready for warmth…

No comments: