Thursday, January 4, 2007

Coolest Things I Experienced This Year (in no order)

2006...another year in the record books. Why not have a fun look at the various things that were "greatness" in some way or fashion in the life of "me"?

*** Jr. High CTCYM trip to Kingsville, TX: All mission trips (in my book) have definite worth, but let's be honest: some are just more "wow" than others. This was my first experience on a Jr. High trip that qualified as WOW. Everything was just so great. The kids learned so much, served so graciously, and truly God was present. I was also pleasently surprised how well being the Center Director went...not flawless, but since the team was AWESOME, all went off without a hitch!

***Catalyst 06 in Atlanta: Ministry conferences have almost always been a highlight to me, but this was the first time I attended one that was not "youth ministry-specific". Catalyst is geared more toward general church leadership, although I must say this was MUCH cooler an event than I expected. The speakers were so outstanding. I actually have all my notes on my desk, and frequently run through them (something I have never done...). I also got to be there with one of my best friends, Scott Austin, and even ran into (randomly) a few folks from my past (Peter Couser and Rick Waters, old TCU BUX guys). Changed my life...made continue to ponder my ministry future (in a good way).

***David Phillips' Memorial Service: I know, morbid thought...but I have NEVER been to such a wonderful celebration of someone's life, and I left feeling more devoted to God than ever. David's life was truly one that existed to follow Jesus...above all else, while still having great love for people, fun, etc. (David Phillips was "Life Stage 1 Pastor" at Christ Chapel Bible Church in Ft. Worth, TX...and my friend (while in college) and boss while I interned at CCBC from 1997-2001).

***Kerrville, July (especially my good "porch time"): I LOVE going to my parents' Kerrville house, but something about this July trip was special. NO PLANS! We just relaxed, and I got to spend much time alone on the porch with books, my computer, good music, and a swing.

***TCU beating Texas Tech: Was at Amon Carter Stadium, going NUTS. I love sports, but I was even shocked at my emotion. The whole family was there: Missy and Jax, my folks, Aufu (my aunt), and the Castles'. Sat in the upper deck amopngst mostly obnoxious, overconfident Tech fans. Loved sticking it to 'em...in a nice Christian way...

***Various spiritual "A ha!" moments with some of the teens in the youth group: This year I know of three kids that made some sort-of real response to God this year. One was at the Planet Wisdom conference in late February, and two were at the "Pole Vault" See You At The Pole rally in September. Things like that are why I do what I do...

***Watching Jackson (aka "Jax") transform into a little boy: This has been simply amazing to watch. His mobility and dexterity are amazing. His communication skills are now officially at "I can make sentences, and I can really communicate with people"-stage. He LOVES books. He is a true two-year old (parents know what I mean), but he is such a joy to be around. I am privileged to be his dad...

There are many other very cool things that happened this year, but for some reason, these are the ones that stick out!

No comments: