Monday, August 31, 2009

My Life Going By...

I am addicted to almanacs. Of all kinds. Texas, World, and ESPN Sports almanacs are in high rotation in my home (and have been most of my "reading life"). As a result, the reading of almanacs "for fun" has resulted in a vast array of (mostly) useless knowledge that does little for me except allow me to win Trivial Pursuit a bunch and to attempt to prop up my ego at times (which isn't what I should do, agreed, just honest that there have been times I've probably just tried to "impress").

One fun thing I like to do with almanacs lately is to almost treat them like a time capsule of sorts. I catch myself saying things like, "Let's look back 10/15/20 years and see what was going on. I recently did that with a 2000 sports almanac, looking at the headlines, winners, and seeing which players on teams are still playing at all. It is humbling to say the least. Ten years ago does NOT seem that long ago, but the vast majority of people in that almanac are no longer playing...

This is just another example of how I am discovering (and I've said it before) that the older I get, the faster life moves. This isn't all bad, but sometimes I get nostalgic and realize, "My goodness, that was TEN YEARS AGO? What happened? That went so fast!"

But, it is a good thing (life going by quickly) in that the "waiting on the Lord" attitude I am called to have seems easier. I have many passions/goals/thoughts/dreams/ideas in my head, and it is getting easier to say things like, "I need to be patient and allow things to develop in a healthy way", instead of rushing them all into existence (and they fall flat, or don't even reach completion at all).

So, I am taking some time today to ponder where I've been, to realize how fast life goes, and to seek the balance between waiting and getting things going (because if I blink, five years will have gone by)...

No comments: