Friday, October 19, 2007

A good, and challenging, take on the lack of male spiritual leadership these days

I'm about to post a blog entry link from a good friend of mine, David Westerfield. I hate to say it, but I agree with what he is saying. In fact, I have had a few discussions lately on this very subject. I'll share a few thoughts, but I'll let Dave do most of the "talking" here as it is a thorough, heart-felt post. I will also admit two things right from the start that Dave also shares as a preface: a) I also struggle mightily with being "too passive", not proactive enough in spiritual leadership. Sure, I'm "paid to do it" with teens (and with varying levels of success), but it is harder with folks not in my ministry realm, especially when they are several years older than me, or have stronger, more Type-A personalities, etc. But God is working on me, and I am much more confident now at 33 than even a couple years back... b) Please don't read Dave's (or my) posts as, "Ben and Dave don't like women in ministry". Quite the contrary. But, as you'll discover, it just seems the guys are increasingly dropping the ball...

Here is the link. Feel free to read it first, then my additions below: http://www.davidwesterfield.net/index.php?entry=entry071015-133756

As someone working in the church as my proffession, I see this ALL THE TIME. Sure, there are the occasional men and male teens who are truly seeking to be godly leaders, but they are increasingly fewer and farther between. For example, when looking for volunteer leaders for the youth ministry, who signs up almost three times as much? Ladies. And getting men to volunteer is like pulling teeth. Like Dave wrote, you almost have to give a sales presentation to "hook" them, and often when they sign up, they still seem so nervous, reserved, almost "afraid" to open up, etc. I know some is simply how men and women are wired differently, but come on, this is getting absurd. Just look at who is sitting in church. You will see plenty of moms with all their kids, and less often, dad is with them (and usually looking quite disinterested). Is this the example we want to set for the future???? That dads just don't really care? That they'll nurture their souls (and only passively) as long as it doesn't conflict with the opening of deer season? Or dove season? Or (insert animal that can be legally killed here) season? (maybe that's just the Weatherford crew...lots of hunters here...not against hunting, but dang it seems to rule some guys' world...) I think the problem here is that we got lazy in the past generation, and while in the past male leaders were more plentiful, they just assumed it would carry on by osmosis and little training was needed. Bad decision. As a result, we have passive dads and male adults, and thus, passive teen guys. I mean, I've had a few with signs of promise (and with guidance, some have really stepped it up), but it is still a struggle. They have been modeled to just, "Believe in God, 'respect' Jesus, try to generally be nice (unless someone crosses you), work hard to be 'comfortable', and if something more enjoyable presents itself, then certainly give all your attention to that!" Forget seeking opportunities to mentor your kids in God's ways, or others around you... Even many of the males I know in leadership positions within a church (on committees, boards, etc.) are quite passive. I'm not talking about needing more "heavy-handed" tyrants either, but well-balanced men of faith who are actively seeking to follow Jesus as priority one, and thus spreading their wisdom to those around them...

Sorry if this seems like a rant, and there certainly are some great examples of godly men still out there. I've just seen too much passivity among my gender and have talked with too many frustrated moms about how they wish their husbands gave a rip about being the spiritual leader in their families, church, LIFE.

No comments: