Monday, December 11, 2006

Officially (finally) upset at the Texans

So at the 2006 NFL Draft, I only slightly grimaced when my Houston Texans selected Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush. I figured we needed help almost everywhere, so a good DL was a fine risk instead of taking a potentially exciting and game-changing player like Bush. Also, we had a proven RB in Domanick Davis.

I was also completely fine with not taking QB Vince Young, despite the obvious Houston connection and his amazing performances in college. I just had too many questions, and my confidence in David Carr's ability was strong.

Well, after yesterday's performances by both players, consider me officially bitter at former Texans GM Charlie Casserly.

Davis is gone for the year. And while Carr has had a nice "rebound" year after a huge setback in 2005, his performances are beginning to slack...

I realize that Bush has had flashes of brilliance all year, but what I watched him do to the Cowboys last night (did you see that move he made at the end of the long TD reception? I literally jumped out of my chair and said to Missy, "Oh man did you see that?") made me an official Reggie Bush fan, and wish the Texans had him...

Vince Young has also shown brilliance at times, and has really led his Titans on a nice run of late (6-4 in his last 10 games). What impresses me is that he has led what essentially is a below-average team to a near .500 record (6-7). If he pulls off leading this team to 8-8 or even 9-7, the league should be VERY afraid for what he can do. It is early still, but he may just be the "Michael Vick" that everyone has hoped Michael Vick would be... What Young did to the Texans yesterday (especially that amazing run to beat them in OT) made me dream... What if he had done that as a Texan, playing in his hometown, propelling a below average team with heart to what would possibly become the young Texans' best season in their history?

These are questions we are left to simply wonder "what if?" about. I love my Texans (more than I ever did the Oilers...), but I am even starting to ask, "OK, boys...it is time to make some noise..." I also still consider myself a David Carr supporter, but he needs to start proving he is talented regardless of "how bad his offensive line is"...

No comments: