Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Things I've Learned from My ipod This Past Year, Part 1

About a year ago for my 32nd birthday, I received a gift from my parents: an ipod. A couple of things you need to know about the significance here: First, I LOVE music. If I had to choose between blindness or deafness, I'd probably choose blindness. I certainly appreciate the gift that is seeing beautiful things, but my "image memory" seems to be clearer than my "hearing memory", so it's likely that the images would remain clearer to me than sounds should it ever happen. I'd miss "seeing" my lovely wife and child, watching sports, seeing mountains and sunsets...but would probably miss the joy that music gives more (at least I could still imagine what was being described to me, converse with others freely, etc.). Second, is that an ipod was the first gift in many years that I actually requested for a birthday or Christmas. As I've gotten older, I just don't seem to truly desire so many specific things like I did as a child. A great example of this was two years ago when I didn't have any personal gift requests, so I decided to ask for a "family gift": a fence for our back yard (you know you are old when you start asking for fences, haha!).

Well last year, when the "what do you want for your birthday"-requests started going out, my wife figured I was still in "I don't really care"-mode and suggested we go for another family gift like flooring the attic. Well, I said, "you know, I actually want an ipod". So I got one...

You need to know now that I almost pride myself in being laid-back as far as "love for material possesions" go, with the key dangerous word there being pride... You see, here is where one great personal lesson from my ownership of an ipod comes in...

A few months ago, I "lost" my ipod. Actually, I think Jackson got a hold of it and at some point it was lost under a couch or cabinet or something (doesn't matter). At first, I was just sort of amused, but as the day went on (and it was lost for three days), I got increasingly worried. I was never mad at my son, you must know, but some strange emotions started coming about. Frantic-ness. Worry. "Missing" my ipod (almost like you'd miss a person...yeah, sad...). Even wondering what my folks (givers of the gift) would say knowing I even allowed a 2-y/o to have access to such an expensive and small item. Finally, the most interesting thought I had were along the lines of, "Ben, this is YOU! You don't get this way! You aren't controlled by material things!" But, you see, I was exposed. And humbled. I was (am) just as guilty as anyone else.

1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
6"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces. **
Matthew 7:1-6, NIV
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%207:1-6;&version=31; (and a good commentary of verse 6 can be found here if you are bored: http://jtsexton.blogspot.com/2007/09/pearls-and-swine.html)

Thus, I learned an important lesson: Yes, I do tend to not struggle with loving material things, but I am just as guilty as anyone. I have at times even judged others that seem to struggle so mightily with being ruled by possesions, or feel "entitled" to only the best things in life, etc., but I am not so different. I often look at what friends of mine can "do" and get jealous, for example. That is not fruitful. I need to always seek to be grateful for all the Lord has blessed me with...even if it seems meager at times when I allow myself to compare with others, etc. I also need to acknowledge that things I "love", like my ipod, are destined for places where "moth and dust destroy" and should be considered a true gift of God while I have been entrusted with them.

10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. ** Philippians 4: 10-12 (NIV) http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=57&chapter=4&verse=10&end_verse=12&version=31&context=context

No comments: