Sunday, April 22, 2007

Now That’s What I’m Talking About…

Sorry if I am fired up, I’m just giving God a WooHoo for doing what He always does: answers. I wrote several days back about how I’ve been on the “downhill” side of the life/faith rollercoaster lately. We had a very good Sunday School lesson/discussion about that topic last week, and we all went around the room trying to verbalize where we “are” on that rollercoaster right now. I said, “I’ve been at the bottom lately, but I have a feeling I’ll be heading back up soon.” Well, as I mentioned in that blog that God always brings me back up, I think it’s happening. I woke up today for some reason with a sense of peace, awe, etc. that I haven’t had in awhile. I have missed it. And it’s not even that life circumstances are really getting better (we have a family member who is close to death from cancer, finances aren’t great (still), our son is still in the throes of the “terrible two’s” and thus we can get easily flustered when trying to deal with him, etc.). But I think that’s a good thing. We have to get beyond letting our life circumstances dictating whether we feel joy, peace, love, etc.-or not. Too often that is where folks “park”: They are only happy, joyful, loving, in awe of God, when things are “going right”, and when things are hard…then the passion to follow (and “be”) the things of God are pushed aside.

So anyway, I got up this morning, forced myself to get out for my morning run, fixed my wife her orange juice and lunch, made the coffee, turned on my “hangage mix”, and sat on the couch. At first, I stared a the book I have been trying to read lately (“A New Kind of Youth Ministry”, by Chris Folmsbee…not a bad book, but lately I haven’t felt like reading it much). Then I just got up, grabbed my old Bible from when I became a believer in 1990, and opened it. Out fell my notes from the Catalyst 06 leadership conference, so I read them again (so great…). But I wanted more. So I said, “God, guide me to a place that we don’t seem to notice much.” And there was Paul’s letter to one of his “dudes”, Titus. I’ve read it before (it is underlined, marked up, etc.), but it is a book that I really don’t remember much from. So I read it. Every word. And I was fired up. Such good stuff there. In fact, I think after our current Sunday morning focus is done (start of summer?), the youth and I may just have to spend some time in Titus’ world!

No comments: